AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a tv thats easy on the eyes. Ever since I switched over to a lcd tv I noticed my eyes would become very tired and not focus properly just after 1 movie. After receiving a lcd monitor for Christmas I realize now that my eyes just can't handle lcd technology. I think it has something to do with the fluorescent back lighting.

This is not a post trying to "attack" lcd technology because I know thats not allowed in this forum. I just want to know if plasma uses something similar to light the displays?

thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
How much ambient light do you have in your room when watching TV? If you typically watch in a darkened room, eye-strain can certainly happen with any display technology Before buying another display, you might try adding a bias light to see if that'll ease your problem. Here's a whole thread devoted to the topic:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=451527

Lots of folks there talk about eliminating eye-strain by adding a bias light, and it also helps with your perception of black levels and color saturation.

Also, here's a useful article with lots of detail about the theory and implementation of bias lighting:
http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htm

Good luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always leave a light on in the room.

My main problem is with this new monitor. It feels like I'm staring into the sun even with the brightness turned down. Its a struggle just to come check something online. My vision isn't the same for the rest of the day after using it.

The tv isn't quite as bad when I use the "movie" setting and I sit a lot further back than the monitor but it still doesn't feel right. It feels like work watching the tv and I just want to sleep. Never had this problem with my tube set.

I'm glad I still have a working crt because they don't seem like they are common anymore. I might go back to using that for a few days and see how i feel.

I need to do a lot more research on plasma before I buy one.

·
Registered
950 Posts
High contrast causes strain in the eyes. It has nothing to do with the technology. Even the old CRTs could cause strain.

Bring the contrast down, put a lightsource behind the TV, and all is set.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are really outstanding. I was doubtful about the advice at first but I moved a small lamp from my living room and put it behind my pc monitor. I can certainly tell there is a improvement. I also have dry eyes in the winter and that doesn't help either. I think my tv has some kind of built in bias lighting I might play with or buy the rope lights for it.

My apologies for going a bit off topic. I'm going to study up on the bias lighting thread.

thanks again for saving me money and a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork /forum/post/15529881

I'm looking for a tv thats easy on the eyes. Ever since I switched over to a lcd tv I noticed my eyes would become very tired and not focus properly just after 1 movie. After receiving a lcd monitor for Christmas I realize now that my eyes just can't handle lcd technology. I think it has something to do with the fluorescent back lighting.

This is not a post trying to "attack" lcd technology because I know thats not allowed in this forum. I just want to know if plasma uses something similar to light the displays?

thanks

Sounds like you are getting eye strain from LCD static brightness. Average brightness rises dramataically with APL making it very hard for your pupils to respond thus inducing eye strain.

Plasma and CRT dynamically control/stabalize average brightness and thus create less eye fatigue.

However, if you are not used to the size or sensitive to flicker than plasma can also cause eye fatigue.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap /forum/post/15530373

High contrast causes strain in the eyes. It has nothing to do with the technology. Even the old CRTs could cause strain.

Bring the contrast down, put a lightsource behind the TV, and all is set.

The brightness of the set in a dark room is what strains my eye.

As my Kuro is on the dimmer side but has far more contrast than any lcd and almost any plasma, yet never strains my eye in the dark.

My Panny plasma requires a light to be on in the room as post-calibration it is too bright with no light.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Eyestrain seems to be the result of viewing images that are less than sharp, i.e., standard definition program material on an HD display, especially if the display is large. I first noticed this with my first HDTV, a 34" CRT set, and continue to notice it on my 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD. This is only a problem on low-resolution material, and not with HD or even with very good SD material. This was never a problem with the old SD sets because the scan lines were always clearly visible, giving the viewer's eyes something sharp to focus on, even though the picture itself was fuzzy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts