AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my new 42" Plasma and it gets pretty damn warm on the top after only a hour of watching TV. This seems pretty normal for most Plasmas. Today we went shopping for an amoire and the lady at Ethan Allen said you can't put a plasma in any kind of enclosed furniture because it will explode. I doubt it would explode but I could certainly imagine it overheating. Obviously the front doors would be open on the plasma and most amoires seem to have a TV cut out in the back of them for large tube TVs. Is this enough for airflow? I live in FL and it's not uncommon for my house to reach 85 degrees in the summer with the AC on.

If this is a problem then I think I may need to go with a LCD projection TV.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
keep in mind that the lcd projection tv also has to have air flow.

the opening for the plasma should be more than enough to keep it cool.

and no, it won't explode.

you can also get a fan to place in the cabinet opening in the raer for more air flow if needed. last resort though.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Check your users manual. I downloaded the JVC PD-42V475 manual and it shows 6 in each side and 8 in top and 2 in from back, for proper ventilation.

JCPZero

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The clearances provided in owners manuals (e.g., "x" inches above, "y" inches behind) are typically for non-vented enclosures (e.g., an alcove or cabinet). If the amoire has a fairly large size (e.g., 1 square foot total) cut-out either at the very top of the back or in the top itself, you'll be fine. The hot air needs somewhere to go and buoyancy (natural convection) will take care of the rest.

85 with the AC on? Let's see, subtract 32, multiply by 5, divide by 9... that's 29.4 Celsius indoors. Good gosh. The last thing you need in your house is another 500 watt heat source!

Of course, where I live the house is 18C / 64F at night in the dead of winter, and the furnace is going full blast. We all huddle around the plasma for warmth.

Ross

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Exploding plasmas? Another weapon of mass deception?

Follow the common-sense guideline above and make sure the heat can get out somewhere and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If its not too late, return the plasma and use the money to upgrade your A/C system. 85 degrees with A/C on is almost like having no A/C at all. My house in South Florida is kept at 75 degrees in the middle of summer. If we want it cooler, we just turn the thermostat down.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by technofan
I'll put a computer type exhaust fan in the back of the cabinet if there is no opening in the back.
Bingo.

"The plasma will explode". Ha ha ha ha ha ha, no wonder she's selling furniture. ;)

FWIW, my HK 7200 receiver puts out more heat than the panny. They are both very good room heaters though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Jason,

Usually they just melt like a Hershey bar in the microwave :)

Any television needs ventilation and most Amoire cabinets i have encountered just have a hole for wires to pass through. Cut most of the back out of the cabinet and you will be fine. Most of the time this is flismsy 1/8 hardboard with a wood pattern glued on, which will make it easy to cut.

I hope the guys at BB don't get a hold of that info or I may have to open a "plasma refill and explosion prevention store".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.