AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I have to get an external tv tuner of some sort?

Also will I be able to do picture in a picture (PIP) with a plasma.... I like to watch 2 football games at once. :)

-- CUE

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I researched finding a plasma (selected Pioneer 503CMX) I did not see any with tuners

Basically plasmas are very large and gorgeous dumb monitor/displays capable of basic video scaling

versus being TV's like many rear projection sets

Michael

·
Registered
198 Posts
There may be some plasma's with tuners, but none that I have looked at had one.

My NEC 50MP1 does PIP, and you can even do split mode where the left half of the screen displays one input, and the right half of the screen displays another input.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I seem to recall that Sony is coming out with a 42" Plasma TV, which will presumably include a built in tuner. I think it was displayed in Japan, but I can't find a reference to it.

Here is an article that seems to indicate Toshiba and Sharp are about to come up with a TV. I assume the use of "TV"and not "monitor" means something.

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/prin...d,64404,00.asp

·
Registered
63 Posts
THe newest model of the Panasonic 42 is supposed

to have the ability to split screen 2 video

sources. I can answer this for sure after I

get mine out of the box and on the wall later

this week

No tuner though, I did see a phillips with

a tuner, but the quality of the picture did

not warrant further investigation.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
A year ago when I was looking into a plasma for one of our smaller videoconference rooms, I can swear I saw one or two that had a tuner. On the other hand, If you connect a VCR to it you can use your VCR as a tuner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Luce, a company based in Florida has 42" & 50" plasma's with integrated tuner's. They do the same with 12-22" LCD panels.

Several smaller plasma's available in Japan use a set top box which offers PIP/split screen capability. Also, the Philips 42" plasma has thid capability when used with their e-box (FTR9952).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.