AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that Plasma's don't tolerate being placed on their sides, upside down, or down on their front. The 42" Panasonic that came from Dell had a "tilt" detector on the box, and a friend who bought a 50" Pioneer was told not to lay the unit down flat.

I find it really hard to believe that any damage would come to these products if you put them on thier side.

Any truth to this?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well, it's a big piece of glass.... You don't see windows being carried flat, or large pieces of marble, because they are very fragile in that aspect. Seems to be it's the same with plasma displays.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The excessive warnings are designed to communicate the fragile nature of the plasma screen and its succeptibility to damage from rough handling of any kind.

The true danger is in two specific areas:

1. Damage from direct contact with the screen.

2. Damage from torsion (twisting).

Placing it on an end or upside down even is ok, provided you avoid twisting the chassis or placing it face down (especially on an uneven surface.) Placing it flat is more dangerous than on an edge, simply because the unit does not have as much strength to resist force in that direction.

If you must lay it flat, be sure to apply support evenly when lifting and lowering the unit to avoid any twisting action. The truth is that early units were not as well made and had more problems in this area.

Enjoy!

Greg

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I agree with Gregg-

I'm reminded of the plasma on the ceiling commercials - above the bed - anyone else?

Public display units are advertised hanging on end (portrait) as well.

It would be interesting to hear from Plasmacrack as he watched them repair his buzzing problem at panasonic service center. (I think). Would not surprize me if it was serviced - laying down.

How do you think ppl are installing there pda-5002 video card in their pioneer 503's? Surely not balancing plasma on it's head.

Bruce

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, I received the full explanation from Panasonic when I went there -- again, quite an educational trip.

When my unit was serviced, they had a utility cart with a 42" Table Stand viced atop. This was their "fixit" cart, and they did all the service with the unit sitting up straight.

When I went to place the unit into the car, I had originally lined the trunk of the rental Ford Focus with my couch cushions and pillows, etc. Then I laid the Plasma down face up. Driving through NYC and avoiding potholes was difficult. They corrected me and noted that it essentially is two panes of glass laid in parallel. Although the top is thicker, when the unit "bends" or "twists", the inside glass will give, therby cracking the plasma screen inside.

So we laid the Panny straight up in the back seat of the Focus, and placed all the cushion in front of it to prevent tipping.

So for all you NYC's out there, yes, the Panasonic 42" will fit in a rental Ford Focus. Available at about $30/day from Big Apple Rent a Car on the lower east side. Not a bad little car, the Focus.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not true!

The Sonys are made to be mounted in horizontal and vertical positions. Tilting them up od down isn't a problem either.

The only thing that would worry me is flat on the floor of ceiling, due to the stress on the glass. Any other position is fine.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Pioneer had a booth that was, if I recall correctly at CES , which consisted of twenty or more working plasmas laid flat on the floor, covered by glass or plastic. You walked over them all. Very neat effect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.