AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, what are some of the better ones? I am looking for a good HDTV set that will last (must be 16:9). Picture quality is the only thing I can about. Features, sound don't matter. Thanks

I am finding out that most sets under 40" only have a dot pitch of .70 or so. To me, that is unaccptable.

btw, what is the dot pitch for normal sets? (non-HDVT's)

Thnaks,

Chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

Get the X-Box, you wont be dissapointed!!

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
You're missing the point that you don't sit 2 feet away from a 40" display :)

But anyway, you won't find a CRT projection set that has the ultra sharp pixels of a direct view, with its shadow mask, though the highest end ones can look very close (and of course with a far, far larger image size which is a very important consideration.)

For video/film content, it makes a lot less difference than you would think anyway. If you want to use it as a huge computer monitor, then you'll either need to get a higher end CRT front projector or get a pure digital solution. If you want it to watch movies, then it won't make that big a difference and from a reasonable viewing distance it will look very good when well calibrated.

------------------

Dean Roddey

The Charmed Quark Controller
[email protected]
www.charmedquark.com

If it don't have a control port, don't buy it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is that a no? I am buying this set mainly for the X-Box when it hits on Nov. 8th.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

Get the X-Box, you wont be dissapointed!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes you can get a 32" monitor (tube) with .32 to .36mm,

check out the Sony BVMD32E1WU.

The only problem, it's $ 38,000. US List

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Also, to give a more complete answer:

Those big rear projections sets don't have a "dot pitch"

per se because they use 3 black and white CRTs which do not have a grille/mask to deal with. You still have an effective resolution max based on the blurring of the scan lines. Most rear projection TVs have 3 7" CRTs that tend to max out at about 1200x800 resolution. Some are definately better than others. Also the rear projection sets have other issues (convergence, mirrors, lenses, etc) that can have a negative impact on the picture quality.

(In my experience most look somewhat dim and fuzzy, and have a narrow view angle).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.