AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the 6 analog inputs to connect my HD-A1 DVD player. Previously, I have set up my receiver with what I believe to be the correct speaker settings: small, distance from listening position, and crossover. I also have an optical connection for DD and DTS if I choose to use bitstream, which is all I used with my older DVD player.

My question is since the DVD player is doing all the decoding when set to put out PCM data through the analog outs, are any of my receiver speaker settings being used in this mode or not? The DVD player also has speaker settings. Are these being used only for PCM output, while the receiver speaker settings are used only for bitstream decoding?

I wouldn't think they would both be used at the same time, or you would be making these adjustments twice for the same thing.

Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
PCM is digital, by the way, so I don't think you want to say putting out PCM over analog.

I suspect your receiver applies no bass management to it's multi-channel inputs. You could check your manual to be sure though. If it's not applying bass management, it will simply output what's input to each channel and none of the large/small and crossover settings will have any effect. That's where the DVD's own bass management settings could come in handy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering. Since my receiver does not have an HDMI connection, the only way for me to get DD+ or DolbyTrueHD sound is for the player to decode it and send it out through the analogs. My player must be set to PCM to do this. I think the last thing the player does is run the 6 PCMs through DACs, which would change them to the analog signal my receiver gets. But what my receiver does with it from there, I have not been sure. The owners manual only gives hints when talking about multi-channel inputs.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I understand what you mean, thanks.

You could try changing your large/small setting. The effect of that is usually not subtle. So if you hear no difference, you would confirm that the receiver does no bass management on multi-channel inputs (Which is totally normal and expected.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.