AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search for this issue and am confused. Do the Samsung HLR models pass a DD 5.1 signal thru the HDMI hookup out the optical digital out connection? I want to hook my new HLR 6178 to my Denon receiver via this connection to avoid lip sync issues. HD Direct TIVO HDMI to HLR HDMI to Optical out to Denon 3300 receiver. Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman
Did a search for this issue and am confused. Do the Samsung HLR models pass a DD 5.1 signal thru the HDMI hookup out the optical digital out connection? I want to hook my new HLR 6178 to my Denon receiver via this connection to avoid lip sync issues. HD Direct TIVO HDMI to HLR HDMI to Optical out to Denon 3300 receiver. Thanks
No, they do not pass 5.1 through HDMI and neither does any on TV. The only time the HLR passes 5.1 is when its internal tuner is receiving a DD5.1 signal.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim
No, they do not pass 5.1 through HDMI and neither does any on TV. The only time the HLR passes 5.1 is when its internal tuner is receiving a DD5.1 signal.
Does this mean I need to be using a cable card so that my in-set tuner is enabled?

·
Registered
41 Posts
is there lip synch issues if you send digital audio from the hd-directv box to the receiver and the digital picture to the tv via hdmi?

with my 5667, i've got a cable card for transmitting hd broadcasts and a digital audio cable from the tv to the audio receiver- dd5.1 is passed thru.

i have a samsung 950 dvd player hooked up to the tv via hdmi - dd5.1 is _not_ passed thru to the receiver. i have a optical cable going from the dvd to the receiver.

it's a bummer that dd5.1 is not passed thru the hdmi cable.

why????

is that something specific to samsung? or is it inherent in all hdmi connections?

could that change with the same hardware in the future? (ie-some sort of software change)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.