AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching more than a year for the most reasonably priced, largest screen 16:9 TV available that will fit into my limited space. Though I'd trade some PQ for a lower price, small cabinet size and PC connectivity are must haves.

Ideally the TV should be less than 44 wide, 32 high and 20 deep (inches). Touting table-top size, the Samsung HLN437W fits the bill quite well, but there are other TVs that cost considerable less than the $3000+ street price of the Sammy.

At last, the Philips 44PL 9523 is the 44-incher I'd been waiting for, listing for $3200, but it's very disappointing that the thing had to be 46.7 inches wide because of the d**n speakers on the sides. It also uses the yet to be field-proven LCOS technology that reportedly has a limited lifespan compared to other new technologies.

Almost making the list is the Panasonic PT40 LC12. At 35+ inches tall, it will block the crucial part of the landscape I like to view from the windows above the TV.

Of course, there're plasmas aplenty, but I've read that plasmas are susceptible to burn-in when used as a PC monitor.

Sadly, 30 and 34 inch CRT designs are somewhat too small for my situation. Also, their typical 24-inch cabinet depth and 200 lb weight are not appealing, however they are not ruled out because of their attractive prices, despite the burn-in problem.

Are there any other TVs that will fit my needs? If not, my top choices are; (1) bite the bullet and buy the Samsung, and have little money left in the budget to complete my surround sound system (2) get the Philips LCOS and use a hacksaw to make the side-mounted speakers permenantly detachable (yes, I'll show them how widescreen TVs can be made narrow) or (3) wait for Sony or someone to build a 40 inch LCD for less than $3000 and resist the temptation of putting speakers on each side, but using technology that eliminates excessive bulk below the screen.

Why side-mounted speakers anyway? They're so common you'd think they make the picture look wider or better? If one is serious enough about TV to get a 34+ inch widescreen, then one is sooner or later likely to get a surround sound system. Is that right?

I have no problem whatsoever in paying big bucks for a large widescreen TV having just 2-inch speakers below the lower corners of the screen, regardless of whether the manufacturer saves $30 for the price of "premium" side-mounted speakers, bass enhancements and fake surroundsound gimmicks. Just give me a TV that will fit my space, and I'll be responsible for the sound. Is this a minority opinion?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm in the same boat.

I would love to consider either the new Panasonic LCD or the new Hitachi LCD tv's but they both have side speakers that make the TV very wide.

Only the Sammy HLN507 will fit my cabinet with the largest screen size. Not a bad choice but it would have been nice to have 3 choices instead of just the one.

Even the Sony LCD has side speakers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.