AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get some feedback about Snell speakers quite a few times here... No one ever responds and the thread gets buried....

Does anyone own any of the current line of Snell Speakers?

Specifically the D7 Tower's???

Please post your opinions of the speakers in question or the company as a whole...

THANKS....

·
Registered
428 Posts
I used to own a pair of CV towers when I was in college (around 1996-97 - I think they were in the neighborhood of $2800/pair). I LOVED the speakers - great presence, soundstage, and depth. I still regret selling them. I haven't kept track of the company over the years, but based on my experience with them, I'd recommend them.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I own a pair of A/II's. One of the best speakers I've ever heard. But these are not current. They're from the Peter Snell/Kevin Voecks era. Voecks is now at Revel. Isn't D'Appolito the chief engineer at Snell now? That's a good sign.

Ed

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/0

I own a pair of A/II's. One of the best speakers I've ever heard. But these are not current. They're from the Peter Snell/Kevin Voecks era. Voecks is now at Revel. Isn't D'Appolito the chief engineer at Snell now? That's a good sign.

Ed

I think Joseph D'Appolito is with Usher Audio as the Chief Engineer/designer (?!)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubyhalo /forum/post/0

I think Joseph D'Appolito is with Usher Audio as the Chief Engineer/designer (?!)

Not sure. I looked at the Usher site and it said consultant since 2000, but on the Snell site it has him as chief engineer since 2003.

Ed

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone explain to me why I am so hard pressed to find owner's of these D7 speakers, or just mainly Snell speaker owner's in general?

For all the various brands of speakers that are discussed on this forum, I don't understand why I'm so hard pressed to find Snell speaker owner's...

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
They have limited distribution, are a small company that hand makes each speaker in their Haverhill, MA factory, and don't market very well. Their speakers are designed by one of the giants in the industry (Joe D'Appolito) and are well worth searching out. Now if you buy a pair, you can tell us all first hand what they sound like.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEDONIC /forum/post/0

Can anyone explain to me why I am so hard pressed to find owner's of these D7 speakers, or just mainly Snell speaker owner's in general?

Just out of curiosity, why are you so set on Snells? Not to imply that you shouldn't seek out opions.

Also, just as an aside, the only speakers that I've heard recently that sounded real good are Revels that have Kevin Voecks, previously from Snell, as a designer. Maybe take a listen to those.

Ed

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/0

Just out of curiosity, why are you so set on Snells? Not to imply that you shouldn't seek out opions.

Also, just as an aside, the only speakers that I've heard recently that sounded real good are Revels that have Kevin Voecks, previously from Snell, as a designer. Maybe take a listen to those.

Ed

Ed, I work for one of the companies under the umbrella of D&M Holdings, which encompasses Snell... The local Snell dealers in my area have the D7's for order but not on display... So I unfortunately cannot sample these speakers in advance...

I'm not a real picky audiophile but based solely on their reputation and their recommendation by coworkers within my company, I'll likely purchase them without sampling them first...

Just wanted to get some feedback from other users but I see there are not many.

It's nice to hear that Joe D'Appolito is so highly regarded in the industry and that he's working for Snell.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I was a Snell C owner for years and I LOVED those speakers. Funny I now have 6 REVEL M22's a C52 and two B12's for my theater and I also Love them.

Unfortunately I can't comment on New Snell's

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just listened to these speakers in Walnut Creek, CA and they sounded amazing. Incredibly true. They could probably use a sub to fill in the bass. Now I'm looking for the best value for them- I would love to have a pair for myself.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I auditioned Snells C7s during my recent speaker upgrade ritual. They sounded good until I listened to them side-by-side with the KEFs that I purchased (which were a lot more $$$s
)... Probably wasn't a fair comparison. However, the Snells seem to be of high quality and good value. SJ

·
Registered
32 Posts
i am currently running a pair of C5 for my mains, along with the center and small bookends for the rear (not sure about specific model type, as I am currently on vacation away from home). Great speakers, they are now about 6 years old. I'm going to be upgrading to some Onix Rocket RS1000's, but these speakers have been great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
wolfgaze may not be checking this thread any longer but I just found it from a Google search on Snell C Type 2 speakers.

I have owned a pair of these speakers since May 1989, when I purchased them for about $1,900 from Hi Fi Fo Fum in St Louis. I had listened to the Vandersteen 2's, some shoulder high Magnepans and a few others I do not recall. I loved the Magnepan's but felt some solidness was missing. The C2's impressed me as having all the fine qualities of the Vandersteens plus some of the openness of the Magnepan's.

As far as I can tell these speakers look and sound as good as when they were new. I do not play them a lot of hours a week nor at high volumes so have not put them through the stress some owners would. I have not had to replace any components. As far as I can tell they are high quality.

In my home I have never gotten the openness I heard in the dealer's showroom. Of course that may well be due to room placement or acoustics. The supporting components have been Linn Axis turntable, later Rotel RCD 975 CD player, Adcom GTP 500 preamp, and Adcom GFA 555 power amp. I suspect the speakers are better than the rest of the components, but I'm not sure.

The reason I did the Google search was to look for information and opinions to help me decide if I should buy new electronics and keep these speakers, or move on from these speakers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a pair of Snell A III, a pair of Snell C II, and I had a pair of Snell C (with the slanted front) for a while. The A IIIs are the best speakers I have ever owned--incredible clarity of voice and punchy deep base. The C II and C are comparable in sound quality, and each can produce music accurately even at high volumes. The cases of these speakers are truly beautiful. Even though the are old speakers the crossovers are working fine. Surrounds on the woofers have been replaced. I am comparing these speakers to others I have owned Acoustic Research TSW 910, Magnepan MG1, Dahlquist DQ10, Paradigm Monitor 9, Kirksaeter Amadeus, Morel MPL 303, and Fried G2. The A IIIs are monsters, but real treasures.

·
Banned
136 Posts
I have Snell A-IIIi's. I bought them years ago from Stereophile reviewer Steven Stone when he was done with them as his references. They were setup in his apartment by Peter Snell.

I live right near the Haverhill factory. I was in there once, getting a replacement woofer. My understanding was that they were bought by Rockford or Harmon or something and are part of an Arizona operation.

Aside from their full-range capability, the unique thing about Snells was that they're designed to be placed near the boundary walls - using them to provide a flat on-and-off axis response.

I'm not sure what they make now, it may be good, but the company has been divested and diluted, so I don't believe they still have a strong presence around here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this thread is really old and I don't know how old the 19 replies are, but I love Snells and have purchased many used ones online, gradually working my way up to a top system. Have LCR 500s (Lucas film set), have a sub 24, sub 1800, a LCR 2800, and many more. I would like to know more about the lcr 2800. I have no experience with the D7, as I have no Snell towers. If any one can help me, please email me at [email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.