AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I seem to be getting the best results sending RGB instead of YCbCr, but the perceived difference is very subtle so I'm not sure if I'm really seeing a difference. I'm hoping some of you pro calibrators know what's best for these TVs.

If the TV can do RGB natively, i.e. without conversion back to YCbCr first, I would want to send the TV native RGB to minimize any processing the TV has to do before displaying the signal. I have the Oppo BDP-103, which I assume does a first rate job of converting the YCbCr 4:2:0 off the disc into an RGB signal (probably better than the TV would).

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm not sure what the Dish is set at but my Xbox is doing standard RGB. But I remember reading on the forum that if you have it properly calibrated, there shouldn't be much difference at all.

Well, if there is a difference it is very subtle. I'm just curious what the pro calibrators have found and ultimately use for their clients with these sets.

·
Registered
12,265 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If you feed the VT/ZT60 and VT50 YCbCr 4:4:4 you can use the 1080P Pure Direct function, which increases chroma sharpness over what you get when feeding it YCbCr 4:2:2 or RGB.

I don't see a difference in color when switching '1080p pixel direct' on and off; however, I do sense perhaps a slight amount of added EE with it on. I also note that '1080p pixel direct' can be engaged when fed RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4.

So maybe no one knows what the set does when fed RGB? That is, whether it displays it natively or downconverts it to something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.