AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is, without conversion back to YCbCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2?

What the best or 'purest' way to feed color data to these TVs?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I seem to be getting the best results sending RGB instead of YCbCr, but the perceived difference is very subtle so I'm not sure if I'm really seeing a difference. I'm hoping some of you pro calibrators know what's best for these TVs.

If the TV can do RGB natively, i.e. without conversion back to YCbCr first, I would want to send the TV native RGB to minimize any processing the TV has to do before displaying the signal. I have the Oppo BDP-103, which I assume does a first rate job of converting the YCbCr 4:2:0 off the disc into an RGB signal (probably better than the TV would).

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use normal color gamut and standard RGB levels (16-235). TV looks excellent (only calibrated the high end grayscale to prevent red push).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes, but do you send the TV RGB or YCbCr? Which is generally best?
Well I'm not sure what the Dish is set at but my Xbox is doing standard RGB. But I remember reading on the forum that if you have it properly calibrated, there shouldn't be much difference at all.

That being said, I haven't really tried full RGB calibration on a TV before.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm not sure what the Dish is set at but my Xbox is doing standard RGB. But I remember reading on the forum that if you have it properly calibrated, there shouldn't be much difference at all.

Well, if there is a difference it is very subtle. I'm just curious what the pro calibrators have found and ultimately use for their clients with these sets.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also curious if these set can display RGB without going to back to YCbCr first. Maybe some of the calibrators know (I'm hoping).

·
Registered
10,069 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you feed the VT/ZT60 and VT50 YCbCr 4:4:4 you can use the 1080P Pure Direct function, which increases chroma sharpness over what you get when feeding it YCbCr 4:2:2 or RGB.

I don't see a difference in color when switching '1080p pixel direct' on and off; however, I do sense perhaps a slight amount of added EE with it on. I also note that '1080p pixel direct' can be engaged when fed RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4.

So maybe no one knows what the set does when fed RGB? That is, whether it displays it natively or downconverts it to something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts