AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Yes. They are still subject to the disadvantages of lcd vs. plasma, notably blacks, viewing angle, and motion resolution.


They also add a few issues that usually aren't as pronounced on CCFL LCDs like flashlighting and starburst effects.


Overall though I think they have a very good image, but they are generally much more expsensive than ccfl so that's something to take into consideration. 500 bucks more for a thinner form factor and some deeper blacks isnt worth it to me, but it depends on the model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
They lag a lot & probably unplayable under 480i for gaming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Deap /forum/post/16967507


They lag a lot & probably unplayable under 480i for gaming.

I haven't heard of lag being a complaint for regular viewing, but they may not work well for older games. Many HDTVs don't, but that's not what they are made for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks124 /forum/post/16967021


I know these are very new but was wondering if anyone has heard about any issues with them yet?

there not all that new...just go to the 'owners" thread(s) and 2009 samsung thread and you will get plenty from owners and auditioners and fans and detractors about the pluses and minuses.


also go to www.cnet.com reviews for a review of the b7000, and also read the review for the b750 for comparison



TVbc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Just curious, but how so? Seems like this is fairly new. I'm in the market for a new 52", and was considering the Sharp LC-52LE700UN. I just don't know what I'm getting into, compared to the more common standard LCD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies /forum/post/16968252


Just curious, but how so? Seems like this is fairly new. I'm in the market for a new 52", and was considering the Sharp LC-52LE700UN. I just don't know what I'm getting into, compared to the more common standard LCD.

Wouldn't do u justice to give u a short, pat answer, SEARCH this forum and ya shall find, LOTS of info, already posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies /forum/post/16968252


Just curious, but how so? Seems like this is fairly new. I'm in the market for a new 52", and was considering the Sharp LC-52LE700UN. I just don't know what I'm getting into, compared to the more common standard LCD.

Actually LED tv's are LCD's. The only real difference is the back lighting. 99% of "normal" lcd problems are carried over to LED tv's. Samsung has done a wonderful job in advertising LED tv's as a new tv design and its not really anything different that whats been available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric turd /forum/post/16968529


Actually LED tv's are LCD's. The only real difference is the back lighting. 99% of "normal" lcd problems are carried over to LED tv's. Samsung has done a wonderful job in advertising LED tv's as a new tv design and its not really anything different that whats been available.

The LED Samsungs are waffer thin and weigh like nothing, have better blacks and use less power than LCD,, would that not qualify as a new TV design ????


You said LED's are "not really anything different that whats been available",, sorry, but I cant think of any LCD displays that are as thin as LED's or weigh the same as LED's, have better blacks and use less power than LCD's.


Which LCD panels are you refuring to "that have been available" that share all the same design features of LED's ???


Cheers

Davyo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/16969101


The LED Samsungs are waffer thin and weigh like nothing, have better blacks and use less power than LCD,, would that not qualify as a new TV design ????


You said LED's are "not really anything different that whats been available",, sorry, but I cant think of any LCD displays that are as thin as LED's or weigh the same as LED's, have better blacks and use less power than LCD's.


Which LCD panels are you refuring to "that have been available" that share all the same design features of LED's ???


Cheers

Davyo

I definitely would concur with this and suggest the posting member go cross compare the spec's line by line and then actually take a gander at the difference from the side, behind, energy savings and the frigging weight - my 57" Sharp non-LED perhaps weighs more than double at 154 lbs and is five inches thick and the blacks on the LED would destroy my 3 yr old technology not to mention the price cuts in those three years - for those that may complain of LED prices must have a short history with LCD since 3-4 years ago they were selling for 2-3 times the price of todays panels - I paid a discount low of $6500 for the 57" which debuted at $15K 3.5 yrs ago and today I can get a 65" for half that. LED will carry a premium for it's advantages but they in fact are a bargain today compared to what us early adopters paid for this now old technology.


It woud be rare indeed to find any friggin panel on this forum that could ever be deemed flawless as is the OCD nature of the nit-picking that takes place - the closest I've observed in my years on this forum was the Sony Qualia 006 - a community of HT lovers and their 70" $13K+ beast - perhaps the most flawless thread on this forum on one of the most expensive TV's. LED is sort of in it's infancy at this point but it's a great start IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric turd /forum/post/16968529


Actually LED tv's are LCD's. The only real difference is the back lighting. 99% of "normal" lcd problems are carried over to LED tv's. Samsung has done a wonderful job in advertising LED tv's as a new tv design and its not really anything different that whats been available.

CCFL tubes are replaced by tubes filed with LED's..... that's all. There are minor benefits related to LED's, but what Samsung marketing machine is doing is CRIME - true misleading of customers.


Boky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/16969131


...LED is sort of in it's infancy at this point but it's a great start IMO.

All you need to do to see the technical superiority of LEDs as a TV light source is look at the basic science. High natural efficiency, light stability, very long life and almost complete reliability, robust, compact, low heat, low cost of manufacture. The downside has been the lack of complete color spectrum, but that's been recently solved.


Unless something like OLED can rival all these (and that doesn't appear to be the case at present), LED would seem the dominant TV light source for a long time to come. I suspect it may dominate for as long as the CRT did, which would mean until the middle of this century.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/16969101


The LED Samsungs are waffer thin and weigh like nothing, have better blacks and use less power than LCD,, would that not qualify as a new TV design ????


You said LED's are "not really anything different that whats been available",, sorry, but I cant think of any LCD displays that are as thin as LED's or weigh the same as LED's, have better blacks and use less power than LCD's.


Which LCD panels are you refuring to "that have been available" that share all the same design features of LED's ???


Cheers

Davyo

his point is that what you, and samsung marketing, are calling LED sets are in fact LCD sets, the difference being only in the backlighting -- LED backlighting (edge-mounted in these cases) vs. CCFL fluorescent. which does not create a whole 'nother animal, but rather a variant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
I have a lnt4661 in a 13x14 sun room and it puts out enuff heat to warm it in the middle of winter. If led back lighting puts out half the heat Id be willing to buy it just for that. Higher contrast ratio doesn't hurt.


As far as marketing goes all the ads Ive seen at BB has led-lcd on them so really don't see any conspiracy here unless it's the under trained 16 teen year old they have working there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky /forum/post/16969212


CCFL tubes are replaced by tubes filed with LED's..... that's all. There are minor benefits related to LED's, but what Samsung marketing machine is doing is CRIME - true misleading of customers.


Boky

Thats true regarding EDGE lit LED sets (What Samsung is offering for the most part), but local dimming LED sets do infact perform better then regular LCD tv's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazm899 /forum/post/16971206


...local dimming LED sets do infact perform better then regular LCD tv's.

Agree that LD is advantageous, but all LED sets benefit from the ability of LEDs to strobe on and off completely and almost instantaneously. It's what allows their manufacturers to claim those enormous dynamic contrast ratios.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/16970217


his point is that what you, and samsung marketing, are calling LED sets are in fact LCD sets, the difference being only in the backlighting -- LED backlighting (edge-mounted in these cases) vs. CCFL fluorescent. which does not create a whole 'nother animal, but rather a variant.

Ok,, sorry, but I am a bit confussed by your post,,, I know LED's are LCD's and I said that in my posting.


Samsung is promoting their LED LCD panels as a "new design in TV's" which I agree that they are,, they are super flat, very lightweight with better colors and blacks than traditional LCD flat panels.


The poster "turd" said "Samsung has done a wonderful job in advertising LED tv's as a new tv design and its not really anything different that whats been available"


Myself or Samsung did not say the LED was a whole 'nother animal,,,, but I would agree with Samsungs marketing that its a "new design in TV's".


After "turd" posted "its not really anything different that whats been available" I asked "turd" what/which LCD's have been available that share the same features as LED LCD's,, thin, light weight, use less power, better colors and blacks,,,,,,"Turd" has not replied back yet with an answer.


And like I said, Im confussed by your post as it had nothing to do with what I posted asking "turd" the example's of LCD's that share the same design features as LED's.


Cheers

Davyo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazm899 /forum/post/16971206


Thats true regarding EDGE lit LED sets (What Samsung is offering for the most part), but local dimming LED sets do infact perform better then regular LCD tv's.

That is correct, local dimming uses individual LED's. So far as I'm aware, Samsung and Sony have only one model that utilises this technic.


I have checked the very latest LED lit LCD's. their power supply PCB and what used to be inverter PCB are now integrated in to a single power supply & LED drive PCB, with obvious savings in producing only a single board, simpler wiring, quicker assembly and servicing. It is sheer greed and customers' misleading that we have to pay more for this technology and LED TV's


Boky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/16973506


Ok,, sorry, but I am a bit confussed by your post,,, I know LED's are LCD's and I said that in my posting.


Samsung is promoting their LED LCD panels as a "new design in TV's" which I agree that they are,, they are super flat, very lightweight with better colors and blacks than traditional LCD flat panels.


The poster "turd" said "Samsung has done a wonderful job in advertising LED tv's as a new tv design and its not really anything different that whats been available"


Myself or Samsung did not say the LED was a whole 'nother animal,,,, but I would agree with Samsungs marketing that its a "new design in TV's".


After "turd" posted "its not really anything different that whats been available" I asked "turd" what/which LCD's have been available that share the same features as LED LCD's,, thin, light weight, use less power, better colors and blacks,,,,,,"Turd" has not replied back yet with an answer.


And like I said, Im confussed by your post as it had nothing to do with what I posted asking "turd" the example's of LCD's that share the same design features as LED's.


Cheers

Davyo

Latest inverter PCB's require around +60 and -60 V DC (that is 120V DC!) from switched mode power supply PCB. Inverter PCB also use individual high voltage transformer for each CCFL tube. Each transformer is required if the whole length of each individual CCFL tube is to be lit at the same brightness


This adds to total TV set weight... and power consumption.


The LED backlit LCD TV's use less power and are thinner because LED's require less power to be driven... and they can be driven at much lower voltage...hence no need for thick and heavy "switching" transformers used in power supply PCB's and in inverter PCB's


However, all the above are only "side-effects" of LED utilisation and should not be abused for marketing purposes - therefore, that is indeed nothing new for technically minded among us.


The bottom line is we should be paying WAY LESS for LED backlit LCD TV's. because they are cheaper to make, quicker to assembly and easier to service.


Boky
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top