AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about ready to place my order, and I keep wavering between the Elite and the Mits Diamond for $2000 less. As far as HDTV, they look real close, but as we all know the Elite handles normal DirecTV feeds better. I am considering getting the Mits and if I don't like the picture, getting an Iscan Pro to take care of the line doubling issue.

My question is, when using a progressive scan DVD player, will the Mits lock into full with non-anamorphic discs like the Elite or can you change display modes accordingly. This is quite the annoying issue with the Elite, and could be why I choose the Mits. I don't trust the salesmen, so I am asking you guys. Does it lock into full?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The newer xxx07 series will not lock, the old xxx05 series will lock. You will be fine with the Mitsubishi.

[This message has been edited by Homer J (edited 04-27-2001).]

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones:
As far as HDTV, they look real close, but as we all know the Elite handles normal DirecTV feeds better.

I would have to disagree. My neighbor has a Elite and he even feels the picture on the Mits is the same.

Some people are more sensitive to digital picture artifacts than others are. For example, I've had friends over who couldn't see DBS compression artifacts that were driving me crazy. Someone considering these two TVs would be far better served by actually comparing them playing various (film based/video based, etc.) 480i sources to see if *they* see a difference, rather than relying on the opinion of kippjones' neighbor.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dohrn:
As far as HDTV, they look real close, but as we all know the Elite handles normal DirecTV feeds better. I am considering getting the Mits and if I don't like the picture, getting an Iscan Pro to take care of the line doubling issue.
One other consideration is that if you are going to use a HD DirecTV receiver (like the DTC100) you can bypass the line doubler for normal DirecTV by watching everything through the HD outputs. I use a DTC100 with my Mits. 55857 and it does a pretty darn good job with upconverting non-HD channels. With this type of use (and a progressive DVD player) the superior line doubler of the Elite is not really an issue except for sources line VHS. Good luck with your purchase Joe.

Jay

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
As far as HDTV, they look real close, but as we all know the Elite handles normal DirecTV feeds better.

I would have to disagree. My neighbor has a Elite and he even feels the picture on the Mits is the same.

------------------

Kipp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.