Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 've reading/hearing more and more lately about plasmas loosing their

brightness or fading over time...3yrs to be exact. Is this a valid concern?

Mine is about 14mo old with many viewing hours...so I've 22mo to go.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Based on what the experts say they do fade over time. However, they are bright to start with (the brightness setting on my 1-year old Panny was set way down below the midpoint a year ago and have stayed there since) and the time interval is fairly long. My guess is that even in 10 years you will be able to calibrate the brightness to your taste.

Andrzej

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yeah, what he said!

The newer plasmas are reported to give ya about 40-60 thousand hours before they wink out.

I'd expect the half life of these sets to be about as bright as when you first got it.

Cheers, VB

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Maybe after 10+ years it might be 1/2 the brightness (they are rated for 60,000 hours or so) but thats still brighter than CRTs after 10 years! CRTs lose brightness over time too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The earlier plasmas were rated at 10-20,000 hrs. Now I'm hearing 40-60,000 hrs. Have the newer ones really improved, or are they just starting to acquire real-life longevity data that allows them to raise the spec?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ed2day
The earlier plasmas were rated at 10-20,000 hrs. Now I'm hearing 40-60,000 hrs. Have the newer ones really improved, or are they just starting to acquire real-life longevity data that allows them to raise the spec?
My guess is that both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.