AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so are there any good speakers that can produce deep powerful bass sound as if you had a mini subwoofer? I just did some testing today by connecting my Aiwa SX-N999 speaker as a front channel and man I forgot how awesome it sounds. The bass was really powerful and deep, and depending on where you sat, you can feel its power. It sounded like I had my subwoofer plugin, but it wasn't. It's too bad that it was just a single speaker running since my other one died over a decade ago. I just use it as a center speaker now since the sound quality is stellar enough for that.

In case anybody was wondering, this Aiwa speaker is over 20 years old now, and it was from their flagship stereo system back when they made quality products. Too bad I can't find any Aiwa speakers that can match its power and suberb sound quality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't speak for low budget brands but higher end brands like KEF, B&W, PSG, Focal, M&K; all make terrific speakers that have rich, full sound with great depth, balance, solid bass, imaging and clarity. You will pay a premium, 400 dollars a pair or more. Don't look at specs, just go to a stereo dealer and listen. You will be impressed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh, one other thing: your Aiwa's sounded good to you but they are not (to be gentle) terribly good speakers. They're more in the "thump and sizzle" range where there's lots of (tuned) bass and treble but on the whole, aren't that accurate. Spend enough time listening to the better stuff; focus not only on the bass, but listen to them. Listen for balance, richness, and depth. Ask people about imaging. But go listen.

·
The Village Idiot
9,719 Posts
200-300 is my budget. What would you guys recommended at that range?
Craigs List. Best place for great sounds on a budget. Post your general location and someone might spot the deal of the week - maybe the year! You never know.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, one other thing: your Aiwa's sounded good to you but they are not (to be gentle) terribly good speakers. They're more in the "thump and sizzle" range where there's lots of (tuned) bass and treble but on the whole, aren't that accurate. Spend enough time listening to the better stuff; focus not only on the bass, but listen to them. Listen for balance, richness, and depth. Ask people about imaging. But go listen.
Well it also depends on what system you connected it to. I tested this speaker on the Yamaha RX-A830 and it sounded very well balanced and rich, basically natural all the way. However, it barely had any bass at all. I bump up the bass on the equalizer the foobar settings on my PC, not on the receiver (it's on flat all the way). The bass got deep and powerful, but no where near than when I had it on my Aiwa system back in the day. Still the Yamaha did justice to this speaker that made it sound very well balance. If I had the other speaker to complete the pair, I wouldn't bother looking for new speakers.

Right now, I still have my eyes set on the Polk RTI-A1 speakers. I just wish I could hear those before I buy them blindly in the next two months.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Chane A1RX-c. I don't know that you'll get better bass out of a small, moderately priced pair of speakers.
Yeah this is my recommendation as well, they are one of the better options for low end at this price range.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
If you are talking about a full range bookshelf, you won't get one for 2-300/pr. If you are talking about a bookshelf that can produce decent bass, maybe. Wharfdale 10.2 speakers always impressed me with solid bass...they won't hit below 40-45 hz, however. Still, almost 400/pr, so...

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
No. There aren't bookshelves with deep bass sound. Some may go down to around 50 Hz, but if you want one that extends all the way to 20 Hz (normal audible hearing range), you'll need a big woofer or many smaller woofers. You have to be able to move a lot of air.

·
Registered
32,872 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
^^^^^ What he said, if you want an inexpensive bookshelf speaker with good bass output.............

What mdbrown said, if you want an inexpensive bookshelf speaker with good bass and a more refined ( balanced) sound.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well it also depends on what system you connected it to. I tested this speaker on the Yamaha RX-A830 and it sounded very well balanced and rich, basically natural all the way. However, it barely had any bass at all. I bump up the bass on the equalizer the foobar settings on my PC, not on the receiver (it's on flat all the way). The bass got deep and powerful, but no where near than when I had it on my Aiwa system back in the day. Still the Yamaha did justice to this speaker that made it sound very well balance.
I suggest always auditioning speakers flat. No, EQ, bass, treble, etc. The less preamplification in the chain, the better. If the receiver/amp you're using has a means of bypassing the tone/EQ contols, choose that for listening. (With Yamaha, it's PureDirect). You'll be surprised how much moving the speakers around in the room can effect the sound.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In expensive speaker with deep bass, Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55: http://www.definitivetech.com/products/studiomonitor-55 It has a large (6" x 10" oval) passive radiator on top and actually produces pretty deep bass for a low cost bookshelf. Give us a call for pricing.
I second the Definitives. Polk has some good ones too in the $300.00 range. (RTIA1?). All these speakers put out surprising amount of bottom end despite their small package. If you want to be amazed, go listen to a pair of B&W 805 Diamonds, just to see how much sound can come out of speakers that are 10x17 inches.

·
Registered
19,833 Posts
Well it also depends on what system you connected it to. I tested this speaker on the Yamaha RX-A830 and it sounded very well balanced and rich, basically natural all the way. However, it barely had any bass at all. I bump up the bass on the equalizer the foobar settings on my PC, not on the receiver (it's on flat all the way). The bass got deep and powerful, but no where near than when I had it on my Aiwa system back in the day. Still the Yamaha did justice to this speaker that made it sound very well balance. If I had the other speaker to complete the pair, I wouldn't bother looking for new speakers.
This Bic Speaker for under $125 (if on a tight budget) will be better than your AIWA speaker

1 - 20 of 45 Posts