AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something bigger than the 42" I have, and I'm trying so hard to get off the fence and make a decision, but everytime I make it to the store, the TV's on display give me second thoughts.

A Sammy ln46a750 was on display playing a blu-ray "Hellboy" -- some shots were great, some were crazy grainy...

Same with Sony kdl52w4100... playing "Ice Age" and the characters seemed to be moving faster than the images could keep up -- is that "blurring"?

We have about 6 CC and numerous BB stores and even a "SonyStyle" store and I've been to them all and experienced the same...

Is this just due to some abnormalities with store electricity or lighting? Poor, pitiful settings?

I've learned a lot from everyone's posting. Everyone here says their pictures are crystal clear, but I have yet to see anything that beats my 3 year old 42" Panny ED...

Am I just going to have to take one home to give it a fair try?

Is that what all of you finally did?

Frustrated...

·
Registered
54 Posts
TV's will likely not look the same at home as they do in the store for a variety of reasons including lighting, viewing angle, quality of the source, etc...

My experience is that there are several BD's that do, indeed, look grainy; either by design or as a result of the transfer.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
All four of mine have looked better at home with a dedicated feed and quality source material. Store display conditions can be pathetic at times something that doesn't occur in my home.

Also, if you have your eyes on a plasma and you get it home and place it in a bright room you may find it useless - the stores rarely replicate the lighting conditions we may have in our homes so take that reality with you in comparing. Daytime glare/washout can turn the best PDP into a POS especially with dark content material and gaming.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my experience I only see grain on my 52LBX when I am sitting way too close. Calibrating the set properly made a world of difference. In particular, turning down the sharpness, contrast, and backlight got rid of the grain to the point that I can't see it from my couch (about 8 feet from the TV).

I noticed the same thing in stores when I was shopping for my TV.

·
Registered
60 Posts
On the samsung, when you talk about it seeming like the characters are moving faster than the images could keep up, you're looking at the 120hz refresh feature on display. Both Samsung & Sony TV's do that. Some people like that, others don't.

And as far as TVs looking different than they do at home. Yes, they do. Like one of the posts already stated, alot of things have to be adjusted according to your settings at home. And sometimes its because of poor feeds.

Hope I helped!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbayer /forum/post/14200733

Poor, pitiful settings?

Yes, due to the cluelessness of your typical Best Buy employee. Add to that a poor source and harsh lighting, and it will look much worse than when you take it home, calibrate it, and hook up a good source. It will also look bigger at home.

I don't bother looking at TVs in stores; I do my research, read reviews by real people who know how to set up their display, and buy accordingly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugzpassionstp7 /forum/post/14201953

On the samsung, when you talk about it seeming like the characters are moving faster than the images could keep up, you're looking at the 120hz refresh feature on display. Both Samsung & Sony TV's do that.

Hope I helped!

I thought the 120hz was supposed to help prevent that... what I saw was almost like when they show animators drawing the cartoons, then filling them in with color -- on Ice Age, I saw tiny blips every several seconds of fast motion scenes where I saw the outlines of the characters...

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbayer /forum/post/14203949

I thought the 120hz was supposed to help prevent that... what I saw was almost like when they show animators drawing the cartoons, then filling them in with color -- on Ice Age, I saw tiny blips every several seconds of fast motion scenes where I saw the outlines of the characters...

Since you are coming from a plasma, you could be seeing LCD sample and hold blur, a lot of people are bothered by this when switching techs. You can always give one a try and if you don't like it, take it back for a similar sized plasma.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/14205360

Since you are coming from a plasma, you could be seeing LCD sample and hold blur, a lot of people are bothered by this when switching techs. You can always give one a try and if you don't like it, take it back for a similar sized plasma.

+1

You *might* also be seeing Motion Resolution. Or more specifically the lack of resolution when an something is in motion (football, actor, car etc)

1080 HDTVs will give you 1080 lines of resolution for fixed images but reduce the resolution for moving images (or portions of the image) Some times this gets as low as 500 lines. Animation can make this reduction of resolution more obvious then standard content.

Lastly, LCDs do a poorer job with motion resolution than Plasma. (enough that it can be quite noticeableit you are sensitive to it)

Here is a test summary that shows some motion resolution results:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/hookmeup/1107hook2/

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugzpassionstp7 /forum/post/14201953

On the samsung, when you talk about it seeming like the characters are moving faster than the images could keep up, you're looking at the 120hz refresh feature on display. Both Samsung & Sony TV's do that. Some people like that, others don't.

And as far as TVs looking different than they do at home. Yes, they do. Like one of the posts already stated, alot of things have to be adjusted according to your settings at home. And sometimes its because of poor feeds.

Hope I helped!

No your not. 120hz and motion interpolation are 2 different things. These TVs are always refreshing at 120hz. Now when you turn AMP (Auto Motion Plus) on for Samsung or cinemotion for Sony they add frames that aren't in the original source material so to some people they seem sped up and not natural.

You can turn AMP or cinemotion on or off, you can't turn 120hz off.

And yes TVs look much different at home then in the store.

Mosh~~

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzfbossman /forum/post/14205955

+1

You *might* also be seeing Motion Resolution. Or more specifically the lack of resolution when an something is in motion (football, actor, car etc)

1080 HDTVs will give you 1080 lines of resolution for fixed images but reduce the resolution for moving images (or portions of the image) Some times this gets as low as 500 lines. Animation can make this reduction of resolution more obvious then standard content.

Lastly, LCDs do a poorer job with motion resolution than Plasma. (enough that it can be quite noticeableit you are sensitive to it)

Here is a test summary that shows some motion resolution results:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/hookmeup/1107hook2/

That is sample and hold blur, motion resolution loss, and the main reason I don't have an LCD right now.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
As for a Bluray or other movie looking "grainy" - this can sometimes be created with the filtering they used when filming. You can also see this in sports, such as live NBA games. The closeups of players on the court can be fantastic, but in the long shots you'll see lots of fuzz in the stands since they have much less light on them than the court.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, went to CC during lunch hour yesterday... saw the kdl52w4100, unplugged in a corner. Sammy ln46a650 on menu with "Night at the Museum", slpit screen, 120 on-off crap, grainy as hell. Sammy ln52a750 with SD sports channel, blurry.

XBR4 playing Alvin-chipmunks looked breathtaking, but still $1000 more than anything else. Employee couldn't answer anything, just wanted to give me print-outs of spec sheets....

Maybe this weekend will be the weekend I just close my eyes and pick one.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbayer /forum/post/14211797

Well, went to CC during lunch hour yesterday... saw the kdl52w4100, unplugged in a corner. Sammy ln46a650 on menu with "Night at the Museum", slpit screen, 120 on-off crap, grainy as hell. Sammy ln52a750 with SD sports channel, blurry.

XBR4 playing Alvin-chipmunks looked breathtaking, but still $1000 more than anything else. Employee couldn't answer anything, just wanted to give me print-outs of spec sheets....

Maybe this weekend will be the weekend I just close my eyes and pick one.

Either way you will be happy, those are both great sets!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts