AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a very tight channel that I have to run a coaxial cable through. the channel barely provides the space for an hdmi cable and the power cable for my tv. The designer of the home theatre did not use an antenna to get the local high def channels, but I do. I found several 'ultra thin' cables for sale on the internet but they all come with f connectors already installed on either end. An example of a product I'm looking at is the GE 23278 Ultra Thin Coaxial Video Cable.

The F connector is way too fat to fit through the channel, so I plan on cutting it off and putting a new one on, but before I buy this cable I have a question: Do I need special F connectors for a cable this thin or will typical f connectors do fine? I'm sure none of the screw on connectors will work ( they would have to be the size of the cable) but if I could crimp a connector onto the end that I cut, it would be a lot cheaper than buying a high def converter or receiver and receiving the uncompressed high def signal over the HDMI cable that is currently running through the channel.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm hoping for a simple 'yea it's no problem', but i'll take detail if I need it

Also, if special F connectors are required, and you know where I can buy them, please let me know

·
Registered
971 Posts
What do you mean by channel? Is it a drilled hole or conduit? If so..

If you can get your HDMI cable and power cord thru go ahead and pull them first. Then you should have plenty of room to pull the RG6 thru. Your power cord and HDMI cable have large connectors so the required space for these should allow room for the RG6.

Or is it some sort of surface mount wire duct? The reason i am confused is because you mention that the F connector is to large to fit thru it. So it sounds more like a drilled hole or conduit.

If its a wiring duct then you should be able to pull the cover off and get the new cable in without worrying about the F connector needing to fit thru it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A standard RG6 is like 18 gauge center conductor, and the actual cable itself is 3/8"

The ultra thin coax looks like it's 24 gauge wire.. It would need a special connector, and am not sure where you would get this or if it can be field terminated.

I agree with 39CentStamp in that your description is a little vague on how you can fit an HDMI cable though you cannot fit a coaxial cable as well..

·
Registered
412 Posts
Also worried here about what you mean by a channel. Ideally, you would not want to run power and signal through the same space - and at worst, it is against code.

The smaller coax will need special connectors. What you really want to do is run the coax and put the connectors on after the fact. But, that is quite an investment in tools, connectors, and cable just for what I'm reading as a short little run up to the TV.

ICM makes a few different versions of small f-style connectors. You may want to check them out and try to buy some Mini coax somewhere.

Best,

Carl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone for your posts. I should clarify what the 'channel' is. It is a metal 1 inch by 1/2 inch rectangular 'tube' that is mounted to the brick of my fireplace. It can be removed by removing the mantle ( have to do this anyway to run the cable down the side of the fireplace, which also has a decorative piece covering the wires that exist there already). But you raise a good point about how the hdmi cable got through there. The connector must've barely made it. It is nearly 1" by .5". I should have also mentioned that it is a gtmax flat hdmi 1.4 cable, so it is approx 3x thicker than a typical hdmi cable ( about as wide as the connector itself). now that I think about it, it was pretty dumb that i didnt mention that. The problem isn't that there isn't enough room to pull the f connector through if the channel was empty, the problem is now that the chanel barely fits the 1.4 hdmi cable and the power cord, so the rg6 cable itself is too tight a fit, even without the f connector.

The power cable input to the tv is is slightly bigger than an F connector, albeit a different shape.

I didn't even consider this configuration to not be 'to code'. I guess the guy who installed it didn't either. Is this against regulation because it is dangerous, or because the quality of the picture could potentially be degraded? All of the cables we are talking about are well insulated, so i figured that insulation was good enough to where they could be side by side without worrying about any negative repercussions.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input. thanks for the shopping tip, fedders, I'll check out ICM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with that ultra thin cable i can probably do this: pull out the power cable for the tv, fish up the thin wire with the F connector on it, then fish up the power cable again. I think that is the simplest solution. no cutting, no crimping, etc.

I'll report if this works. Thanks everyone for making due with my limited information. Your feedback really did help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts