AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do u think there will ever be a perfect projector that'll never die out and the colors and picture quality will stay the same forever and perfect contrast and brightness and higher than 1080p? BTW don't the dlp projectors never die quality?

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Even if that projector came along we need a perfect source with a complete library of titles.

Most of us here on this forum are to picky and would find the week points with the projector anyway.

Actually that manufacture wanting to build that ultimate projector should hire forum members to help design and put it through its paces.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
No. Heaven forbid! What would we do with ourselves here?

They're a great deal less imperfect than 3 years ago when I set my HT up. Sure have enjoyed watching all those imperfect movies over the years! :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I think it gets to the point of dimishing returns... We are not there yet but I would say that a 1920x1080p 3 chip with 10,000:1 CR and at least 1000 lumens measured would be enough to simply say... OK I'm done.

To be honest even a 720p 1 chip unit with 5000:1 CR and 1000 lumens is so close to being fine for me that the upgrade between the two will need good source and good setup to discern to even basic videophiles / enthusiasts IMHO.

I think we will see the 720 standard I mention above in the next year or 18 months... I think we will see the 'perfect' 1080p mentioned within 5 years. Of course marketing and advancements will probably show us cheaper / easier / better version of the above but I would call those kind of benchmarks as substantial markers.

Personally until there is a lot more 1080 content availble to buy I dont see myself needing to go from the second projector to the first one desperately. The cost differential will still be important enough to me that other hobbies can benefit for the masses needed to be spent to achieve that last couplf of %.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That will depend on the lamps. Do a little research on induction lighting. Phillips has a few systems with 4100 Kelvin lamps.

Other places are working on a "Sulfur Lamp" that is about 6000 Kelvin (supposodly slightly higher color temps to come), well over 100 lumens/watt, and has a 100,000 hour spectral life. Unfortunately, the lamp must me constantly rotated, and the microwave generating magnetron's are only good for 10,000 hours or so...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"I think it gets to the point of dimishing returns... We are not there yet but I would say that a 1920x1080p 3 chip with 10,000:1 CR and at least 1000 lumens measured would be enough to simply say... OK I'm done."

So, there will never be a perfect projector.

But to clear all the hurdles in my mind, you'd need 4x oversampling, i.e. 3830 x 2160.... You'd need 3 chips of whatever type that were dialed in for

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I think the sentiment that projectors will get good enough that nits won't be worth picking for the great unwashed is valid. It has happened in a lot of product lines. Where, there may be differences, but no one can tell whether the difference is an improvement or a detriment. At that point, who cares? Then it become a comodity, and it's all about price.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the perfect projector would look so realistic, that you cannot tell what is real and what is not real. I don't think that is possible anytime soon.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
I'd say that's not possible soon, yes---but it's the fault of many factors besides just the projector... if we had a projector that met rogo's specs above, the source material would still be lacking.

Indeed, one problem with video is always going to be its limited color gamut anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The perfect projector already exists. Perfect in every way.

I take offence to Alans initial comments.

He is obvoiusly giving an opinion (I presume it's his own opinion) in that "we need a perfect source with a complete library of titles" which is obviously an opinion, but it is not fact and far from it. I am disturbed that he distributes such crap. My reasoning, no projector manufacturer can be expected to manufacture a comlete library of titles and secondly, the perfect source exists in many formats. Examples are numerous; any film made and copied from the master will suffice, digital does not count unless recorded digitally. Don't get technical on me here.

"Most of us here on this forum are to (sic) picky and would find the week points with the projector anyway." Disagree. Most people would point out the diffencies with their setup. Example, ambient light, screen, source, cables, blahblahblah, I could go on.

"Actually that manufacture wanting to build that ultimate projector should hire forum members to help design and put it through its paces." With that comment, I believe Alan should be running a company such as SONY. What insight!

Alan, you have made a great contribution to this forum, but hey, I may have caught you out. :)

Kindest Regards

Devon

Opinions are wonderful. You do not have to know anything to have one.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by seand
(snip)

Other places are working on a "Sulfur Lamp" that is about 6000 Kelvin (supposedly slightly higher color temps to come), well over 100 lumens/watt, and has a 100,000 hour spectral life. Unfortunately, the lamp must be constantly rotated, and the microwave generating magnetron's are only good for 10,000 hours or so...
and they spew RFI that disrupts certain wireless bands of the spectrum (802.11b I think).

BB

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
darkman6420:

I vote for no. The manufacturers will always find a way to improve it and we will always find something to complain about. Look at the wheel, one of the oldest inventions in the world and it is still evolving. Replacement of something that breaks is slow, the need to better our neighbour is what drives the business.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I have a Holo deck in my living room I think things will be perfect :)

;)

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
My projector is "perfect" right now and my next projector will be "more" perfect.

The "ITCH" is what causes our problems and will never go away. It keep's everyone here.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
When they invent a PJ that brings me beer, cold beer, they'll be close. Cold beer and food, closer still. When that same PJ finally starts bringing women, hot women, I'd say it would be perfect. At that point, who cares about PQ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.