AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have am probably going to buy a RCA DTC-100 because the price at my local BB is just too good. But I am getting a AE100 and will buy a transcoder for my prog DVD. This means I will have 2 VGA sources and one input on the proj. Now does the AA transcoder have the ability to input a VGA too or is it just the output? and if not like I'm suspecting, do the VGA switcher have enough frequency to do this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2029918265

Quick answers would be really helpful because I dont know how long the DTC-100 will last... and hte ebay auction is almost over too.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i use a passive a/v switch for my component devices. using a passive VGA switch should be similar. i've always argued that passive devices are adequate even for HD signals. i say give it a try.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Cheap, manual, passive VGA swicher do not have the bandwidth for HDTV which requires 350 Mhz or higher. These are intended for 800X600 or less resolution. Of course for $10-20 at local computer store you can give it a try. I really think it will ghost/ring on you. At minimum go with a Belkin Omniview 2->1 or 4->1 active switcher for $45-55 at www.harmonycomputers.com . Even better go with Kramer VP-211 ($200) from www.copperbox.com .

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I went with an Extron switcher. After trying the inexpensive passive switcher....as stated there were a few problems like ghosting etc. Once I went to the extron.....bam, terrific picture, as I would have expected. The automated switcher allowed for ease of operation=one input on the projector and no manual switching. AND, since I was using one TV input, the cost for an ISF calibration was less (not having to calibrate more than one input in the Mit's case).

Ron

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I am also using a cheap $25 AV switcher from RS between my DVD/STB and Marantz projector. However I see a slight but noticeable degradation of the image. Nothing huge but we notice it every time.

Unfortunately we really need a matrix switcher so we can switch both for the source and between projector and TV on the receiving end. Haven't found a good switcher for that yet except the $7,000 unit from Extron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.