AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just because one speaker may be rated at 1000 W peak and another at 500 W peak, does that necessarily mean that the 1000W speaker will be louder, or do other factors come into play?

I am specifically talking about the Definitive Technology BP3000TL and VMPS RM40. After hearing some discussions on the board about the RM40 it sounds really good, but will it get as loud as the Def Techs, or is the Def Techs 1000 W an overkill for a ~3500 cu. ft. room?

I have heard the Def Techs have a good sound stage that fills the room while the VMPS are more directional, is that dependant on peak Watts and room size? Thanks!

Suke

·
Registered
569 Posts
The power rating of a speaker is next to useless is comparing sound output levels between two speakers because there is no standard for this rating.

How did the manufacturer arrive at this number? The power rating of the speaker driver with the lowest power rating in the speaker? Okay, but where did that number come from? The manufacturer of the driver? How did THEY arrive at that number?

Power ratings give you a ball park of how much clean power the speaker can handle and not much else.

Efficiency of the overall speaker in combination with max power will get you in the ball park as far as max SPL, but at what distortion levels?

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Watt ratings on speakers are like speed ratings on tires: they tell you how fast the tires can withstand without failing, not how fast they will go on an unspecified car. ;)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Wattage ratings are meaningless, unless efficiency is factored in.

Take the case of two similar speakers rated in the same manner.

Speaker -A- is rated at 200 watts with an efficiency of 84dB/watt.

Speaker -B- is rated at 100 watts with an efficiency of 90dB/watt.

Speaker B would play louder.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
... given that the same amplifier is powering them and can drive both to maximum power levels (i.e., can output 200W per channel). Just covering the bases here so C4 doesn't get confused.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.