AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent arrival of my projector, and hooking up the HTPC, and testing screen samples, and comparing software DVD players, and fighting sound cards, and ...

I never tried to analyze or "fix" anything when I had an old Toshiba DVD player feeding S-Video to a 36" direct view tube.

For the truly obsessed, is it possible to just sit down and watch and enjoy a movie? Please say yes...

------------------

Tom L.
my-soontobe-home-theater

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Not really http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I think I spend 10 times the time I need to watch a movie doing tweaks. Its weird but sometimes I go to my HT room at say 4PM to watch a movie and then its already 9PM and I am still just tweaking here, checking out a particular scene in a movie....nuts!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well ever since Grant said he saw RAINBOWS I have been keeping my eyes peeled on horizontal motions watching DVD's. This is my loss, of course, as before this I did not bother to "look" for rainbows but rather just enjoy the movie as it should have been in the theaters.

I hope to put this issue to rest once I have the high-power screen and stop reading this forum for a month and then perhaps I will be content that no one can further influence me enough to look for other "normally acceptable" video deficiencies on the LT150, or any other CRTs/FPs/RPs. What are we doing here -- we don't have the ACTUAL 70mm film and we are trying to get the same results.... To be fair, I have always noticed a small amount of edge enhancement on my direct-view Sony XBRs even with DVDs using interlaced Toshiba DVD player prior to going FP, so people...I think you are wasting your time trying to get the PERFECT SCREEN. Perfection is costly and should only remain a virtue.

That said, I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY with the results for the amount of money I've spent. 6 months ago I was using XBR direct view with interlaced signal and now I'm using progressive front-projection systems. And yes it is worth it! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the Skyworth FAQ page at:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003495.html

[This message has been edited by Yahoo (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I find the best remedy is to rent DVD's once in a while. Then you're forced to accept the current state of tweaks, relax and sit down with the wife and enjoy it, before they must be returned.

When you try to watch a movie you already own, it is too easy to end up tweaking, since you can always put off watching until later, or never.

Carey

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sometimes I'm critical of the picture quality, but after watching a couple minutes I just get sucked in to movie and forget about the HT. Still, I'll think in the middle of watching a DVD that the transfer was great (or poor), or the the sound is muted, (or stunning), but again that passes and I'll get sucked back into the story (if it's good).

But I find myself doing this at a theater as well when I see a film. Some films transfer really grainy like Anna and the King, or Shanghai Noon, when I saw them in the theater on film, and I wondered if the DVD transfers would also come out poor (thankfully they were both quite good).

And conversely, Some movies look wonderful in the theater on film (Repacement Killers come to mind) and I wondered while watching the movie how the DVD would handle the many dark foggy scenes and bright neon color scenes. (it looked great).

So I am more visually critical of films now that I've been involved in home theater, but I still love watching movies for their own sake.

-Dean.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
One other thing is that after I made any changes (ie new gear or anything else), the way I know I am ok with the tweakings is by playing a movie I've been meaning to see and if the image is able to grab I finally know that I am done tweaking....at least for this week http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
873 Posts
If its anything like audio (still setting up my HT), then the worst thing you can do is to make the experience a solitary one. One of the things I'm looking forward to with my HT is the ability to share the experience with others. Its possible to do with audio, but most of us listen alone.

I think the tremendous success of HT compared to 2 channel has something to do with this aspect.

So, for me at least, its always important to have non-audiophile music lovers over to share several hours of music and expereinces about music. It helps to remind you why in the world you spend so much time and money on the endeavor.

To skip to the big explosion in every movie, or the most challenging to reproduce landscape, etc., seems to take away from the whole experience of movie watching, and the more you do it the harder it is not to skip to those scenes. Shure, a good deal of films these days make a 'story line' or 'plot' the pretext for the special effects (especially this time of year!), but it seems that in order to maintain some level of movie-going health, film must be experienced from beginning to end.

But what do I know . . . . I've been watching movies on my 20" SONY for a long time. Let's see what I have to say in a few months after my HT is complete.

Kelly

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I was a union projectionist in theatres during college so I haven't just "watched" a movie in 40 years. I am always looking at the quality of the presentation.

I don't think that this in any way inhibits my ability to judge or appreciate any other aspect of the film. It is just something that is always foremost in my consciousness.

I am fairly tolerant of the limits of any system. On the other hand, I find unnecessary failings to be very annoying. For example, if the picture is out of focus, or the masking is misadjusted, I find that very annoying.

I think that paying close attention to the technical aspects of presentation actually helps you to appreciate other things about the film.

Don't worry about it!

·
Registered
665 Posts
rlssmith...

I'm not sure how to appreciate a technical aspect like RAINBOWs in a movie but I'll try my best...not too many of us here have unlimited budget, so finding that "balance" is really the key....

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the Skyworth FAQ page at:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003495.html

·
Registered
505 Posts
After the Thumper mods, a little gamma table correction, and arrival decent software DVD players, I will admit that I spend a lot more time watching and less time tweaking then I used to. I am pretty darned happy with what I have. Is there something wrong with me? Should I see a doctor? .... Watch out it might be contagious.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

[This message has been edited by Gary P. Gibbs (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
486 Posts
If we ever get a perfect Home Theater....

WHAT WOULD WE DO?

------------------

-Tony

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sorry guys, but I *can* just watch and enjoy a movie. To me it is similar to work and play. I could always keep my mind set separate. When there is tweeking to be done then that's what I'll do. If a new DVD comes in, I set it up once and then I just let my self drift into the movie.

Watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is an example. When I first put the DVD in I noticed alot of edge enhancement. I quickly skipped some chapters to see how bad it was. After that I started the movie and forgot all about the imperfections.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm getting the impression that there are a number of folks here (imagine that) that enjoy the tweaking part.

Therefore, just sitting & enjoying a movie must spoil all the "fun"...

I think many folks interested in this kind of thing have higher standards of perfection.

------------------

Jude Barnes

·
Registered
891 Posts
Having just gotten my G15, I've been spending lots of time tweaking it and previewing DVDs, but every time I fire up a scene I want to test out, I end up sitting in the middle of my floor, mouth hanging open, caught up in the movie.

I'm still paying attention to the technical aspects, but actually dragging myself out of the movie is a chore. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.