AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wireless Speakers?

Do they really work?

Currently I have the new Panasonic BluRay Home Theater. Having just one toslink in is a major pain.

But the most aggravating issue is the white noise in the rear wireless speakers. At volume setting zero there is no noise. At volume setting 1 and above the noise begins.

I have tried everything to isolate the issue. The noise is created on all inputs; even the internal BluRay player. But if there is no movie in the tray, then there is no noise. If all inputs are off there is no noise at any volume setting. This leads me to believe the noise is created electrically inside the box if any input is turned on (internal or external).

Is this a common issue with wireless rear speakers?

·
Registered
896 Posts
They work, but they are suffering growing pains. This is evident in what you describe.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It could also be external interference from... well, everything.

Do you have a router or cordless phones that work on 2.4ghz? Those could mess with it, too.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/14342647

Do you have a router or cordless phones that work on 2.4ghz? Those could mess with it, too.

Yup. Even wired speakers are prone to interference, wireless even more so. It's an exciting concept when they nail it down, though. No more long run surround wires...woo hoo!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/14342647

turned everything off in the house, AC, Fridge, Router, Laptop, Modem, TV, Sony HD recorder.

Even did this "odd" test (this time with everything running in the house 100%). Except enternment equipment.

1. Turn on HT system - no inputs. No white noise at any volume setting.

2. Tunn on TV without toslink connection. No white noise at any setting.

3. Then plugged in Toslink fiber optic and got the white noise (input to HT is now on.............so got the noise. It would have been exactly the same if I left the TV off, and just turned on the BluRay input

Item 3 tells me the problem is "internal" to the HT box. As soon as an input is triggered, inside the box it messes up the rear wireless.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
does the HT box have an RF remote, or the option for a RF remote. Something in the box must be either transmitting RF energy ....or....leaking RFI (radio frequency interference) due to bad shielding. Not a good sign for wireless speakers.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
What speakers and transmitter?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The complete system is:

SC-BT100 (if you look in the picture, the cardboard on top says SC, but the plastic front says SA-BT100?)

The transmitter is SH-FX67T

The back receiver is SE-FX67

With the system the only choice is wireless rear speakers; there is no option to hook them up direct to the main unit.

BTW, the BluRay output at 24p and 60p are stunning. Same goes for the upconverted plain DVDs to 1080p. I really like the exteme smoothness in the 1080/24p to the 800U Plasma...............now if I could just get rid of the white noise.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wireless speakers are getting much, much better and they do in fact work. This is going to sound harsh but it probably isn't working like you want because it's from a HTiB which isn't exactly where the best equipment comes from.

I don't know how much the set cost but for reference, the KEF wireless system which is reported to work very well is $600 just for the receiver and transmitter for one pair of speakers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm looking to buy an inexpensive but functional wireless transceiver for my rears in a new bedroom setup. Any recommendations? I've seen some running as high as $500 and as low as around $130.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed my KEF wireless receivers yesterday and testing them last night they worked flawlessly. I just plugged them in and turned all of them on and they sync'd up right away, then ran the auto tune program on my Yamaha V663 and they were ready to go.

I did some test listening with Blackhawk Down and X-Men 3 and they worked fine, I didn't notice any delay or sync issues.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchanjam /forum/post/14346478

Wireless speakers are getting much, much better and they do in fact work. This is going to sound harsh but it probably isn't working like you want because it's from a HTiB which isn't exactly where the best equipment comes from.

Well is there is lot of truth in that statement. The MSRP is $1,000 on the Panasonic web site. This includes their 3rd generation BluRay etc. with all the new Codecs etc and the Master HD sound etc, all of which are great.

Anyway I have identified the problem: It is excess EMI/RFI leakage or lack of shielding "inside" the main unit. Guess I really will not know if this is a design defect or just a single bad unit, until the replacement gets here. It could be design QA problem; if that is the case, then I will go with the new BD50 player (same player as this one), and then add separates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts