AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see "full" as an option under the aspect ratio, but not "full pixel. Btw, the KDL Bravia V5100 has both full and full pixel options. An electronics engineer told me that the aspect ratio is not the same thing as full pixel, although seemingly similar, and that many people misunderstand this topic/issue. He said that pixel mapping within the tv [the processor-scaler] allows the HD signals to come thru without altering the resolution. He said that if it was as simple as just changing the aspect ratio, then the 1:1 pixel mapping would not be an issue, because just about all hdtv's have aspect ratio choices. I dont know if this is true or not.

At any rate, since you said for 1080 signals, I take that to mean not for 720 signals. I suppose because you are saying that due to the native being 1080, correct? So, what will an xbr9 do with a 720 HD signal ? ... with a 480 from a DVD ? ...

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The Full pixel option which is one of the choices avaialble under the aspect ratio options means that the TV will display exactly the resolution it is receiving without overscaning it or stretching it. If you you have your output resoluition and desktop resolution set to 1920x1080 then you will have true 1:1 pixel mapping.

Up until a year or two ago almost all HDTVs did not have an aspect ratio or picture size option that disabled overscanning when using component or DVI/HDMI interfaces so you coulld only obtain the appearance of 1:1 pixel mapping by underscaning the resolution being sent to the TV.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the .pdf file and the printed owner's manual for the 40 thru 52 xbr9's, I see "full" as an option under the topic aspect ratio, but not "full pixel." In comparison, in the the .pdf file online and the printed owner's manual, for the 40 thru 55 V5100's [also a 2009 tv] shows two separate menu options worded as follows: "full" or "full pixel." So, I assumed that plain full vs full pixel are not the same thing, otherwise, why have the redundancy, ergo, full pixel = true 1:1 pixel mapping.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyer999 /forum/post/18300471

For the xbr9 I see "full" as an option under the aspect ratio, but not "full pixel." In comparison, the V5100 [also a 2009 tv] has both full and full pixel options, ergo, true 1:1 pixel mapping.

You have to set "Wide Mode" to "Full" then you will see the "Full Pixel" option under "Display Area". "Full Pixel" only works for 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p input signals.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Full Pixel option is only available for 1080i, 1080p or 1080/24p sources. It is found under the "Display Area" portion of the menu when "Full" aspect mode is being used.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
A good test is if you are sending 1080i, or 1080p to the TV and your PC desktop is set to 1920x1028 your 1080p TV is not overscanning if you can fully see the TaskBar at the bottom of the the Windows desktop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts