AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I set my Bluray Player to 0-255 RGB, the blacker than black and whiter than white bars can't be seen on my Pioneer Kuro Elite 111-FD. When I set the Bluray Player to the regular setting, I can see the blacker than black and whiter than white bars. Does this mean that my Yamaha 665 Reciever is altering the HDMI signal that the bluray player sends? My Bluray Player is a Sony 360.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Possibly. I have not heard feedback on the x65 series yet. Some Yamaha receivers have clipped to limited range, and others have not. Could be the TV too, I guess.

·
Registered
22,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/16949169

When I set my Bluray Player to 0-255 RGB, the blacker than black and whiter than white bars can't be seen on my Pioneer Kuro Elite 111-FD. When I set the Bluray Player to the regular setting, I can see the blacker than black and whiter than white bars. Does this mean that my Yamaha 665 Reciever is altering the HDMI signal that the bluray player sends? My Bluray Player is a Sony 360.

No, it means that your player is futzing with the video. There are also issues with how the Pio displays handle BTB/WTW. In any case, the V665 passes whatever it's being sent as long as it's 1080. Your player should be sending 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 anyhow, there's no reason to use RGB with the Pio display, since it has to convert RGB to 4:4:4 for processing. If the player has an "auto" setting for color space, use it.

·
Registered
13,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/16949169

When I set my Bluray Player to 0-255 RGB, the blacker than black and whiter than white bars can't be seen on my Pioneer Kuro Elite 111-FD.

When you ask your player to output 0~255 RGB, it maps black level 16 to 0, white level 235 to 255. All BTB and WTW info have already been clipped within the player due to this conversion. It's no one else's fault but yourself. Now you know why the 'Normal' video settings doesn't use 0~ 255 range (because you can't do calibration). There is really no reason to set a Bluray player to output PC range unless you're using a PC monitor. All you do is adding the extra conversions that screws up the PQ. All video material on disc is using normal video range and most TVs internally use video range as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts