AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We usually have a few candles or incense burning which compliments the HT experience for us. We also have the fireplace burning most of the time in the winter. None of the light produced can reach the screen area so in no way does it affect the pq.:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
An occasional CD.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I burn candles and a gas vented fireplace but I have a RPTV and I think you are gearing this toward FP.

-T.Wells

PS I have thought twice about the candles after seeing what they did to two of my computer monitors.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by T.Wells
I burn candles and a gas vented fireplace but I have a RPTV and I think you are gearing this toward FP.

-T.Wells

PS I have thought twice about the candles after seeing what they did to two of my computer monitors.
What happened to you monitors?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
What happened to you monitors?
Sorry, I should have mentioned it. They wound up having a black layer across the top vented portion. I also noticed the same effect on my girlfriends monitor. After seeing her monitor, I asked a friend who I knew burned candles in his room and he also had the black stuff on his monitor. We mostly burn the Yankee style of candle.

It could have been a coincidence but I think that it has some merit. The black stuff wouldn't really wash off but I didn't want to get anything too wet on the vent either. All three monitors were standard cream color VGA monitors. One was 15" and the other two were 17".

I have not noticed anything on my RPTV at this point but I do have it walled off so that only the screen is exposed to the room.

T.Wells

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Quote:
You are kidding, right?
Nope. I've lived in CA and MT. In both places there have been spare the air days where the authorities have asked that people refrain from using their fireplaces.

For me, I find fireplaces to be energy wasteful, dirty, expensive, and the major polluter in my neighborhood (this time of year).

Sorry for being OT.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I have a fireplace and wood stove,

The wood stove I would say is more efficient then many forced air gas or oil furnaces currently in use in many of the US homes.

The Wood stove is a Vermont Casting Defiant

EPA's Cleanest!

55,000 btu's/hr

Efficiency: 82.4%

Largest Vermont Castings wood-burning stove

Cleanest burning stove ever tested by the EPA: 0.8 grams/hour

Exceptionally large, unobstructed viewing area

Firebrick protected combustion chamber

Automatic thermostat control operation

The best part is after it's been fired up and warm, Take a look outside at the stack, No SMOKE! just some of those heat waves.

Load it up and get 6-10 hours of burn time.

So your blanket statement is a bit off, or your mis-informed.

Now if only more of these were used in your neighborhood.

I should also say that good old mother nature knocks plenty of timber down each year with her storms that my 100+ acers of timber never needs new cutting of trees to supply the firewood. I would never in my or my kids life times need to cut trees down to burn.

Yes to manage the crop, but not for firewood.

This again brings more firewood, all those tops.

So Yes I burn the stove in my HT:D

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Most modern furnaces are over 90% efficient, well above the Defiant. They also burn a much cleaner fuel. The defiant may efficient relative to other wood burners. It is not, however, typical of what is installed in most homes.

I stand by my statement. The vast majority of fireplaces are energy wasteful, dirty, expensive, and can be a major polluter.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
But my statement was furnaces currently in use in many of the US homes.

The majority are probably still under or near 80%

While I'd agree with you on the vast majority of fireplaces,

Our's is seldom ever used,

Our gas furnace is 92+ efficient.

We install that the first thing when I purchased the home, paid for itself within the first five years or so here in Frigid MN.

(Helped with the self install no labor cost)

I removed the original 10 year old furnace that at best was maybe around 75%+. and that one was near top of the line for it's time back in 1986

But most homes within the US are much older then 15 years and still have the original heating systems in use. :eek: these operate well under the 80% efficiency.

I carry very similar beliefs as yourself on these touchy issues.

Now back to the forum topic of HT!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I burn my RGB tubes on my CRT each time I'm in my HT :) but somehow I didn't think this was the intention of the thread.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BizarroTerl
Most modern furnaces are over 90% efficient, well above the Defiant.
The above is false. Todays standards are for a minimum 78% efficiency. The majority of new units purchased today are in the range of 80%-85% efficiency. I am a member of ASHRAE, we set the standards for HVAC nation wide.

Quote:
I stand by my statement. The vast majority of fireplaces are energy wasteful, dirty, expensive, and can be a major polluter.
This is not true as well, many wood burning fireplaces offer a great benefit to the environment when compared to other heating devices. Wood burning fireplaces use a renewable fuel source that is abundant. I use a Heat n glo energy master fireplace that has a built in heat exchanger. There has not been a Chicago winter night, no matter how cold it was where I could not heat my whole house (2800sf). It is a great alternative to using natural gas, oil or lp.

BizzaroTerl,

your government out there has been in the news for trying to ban using fireplaces. I personally look at a fireplace as less dependence on the government to provide me with a source for fuel and heat. God forbid for a catastrophe were to happen in the winter where fuel and electricity is cut off for weeks or months. How would you expect people to survive? Your local government whats you to rely on them instead of taking care of yourself and they use "the environment" scare as an excuse for this....shameful.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
A cigarette every now and then.

Sacreligious, I know.

JEff

·
Registered
940 Posts
Bose Ad's!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status