AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you prefer 240hz over 120hz? Or do you care?

Does it matter with 3D?

Considering buying the SAMSUNG 60'' UN60D6400, but its 120hz which I'm assuming would be fine.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
I have heard (read) that 240Hz is preferable for 3D, but does anyone really care about 3D?

·
Registered
267 Posts
If I was to buy a new tv, which I am in the market for one, I would probably get 3-D. I probably would never use it, but it would be a nice thing to have every once in a while.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by balla01 /forum/post/21568060

If I was to buy a new tv, which I am in the market for one, I would probably get 3-D. I probably would never use it, but it would be a nice thing to have every once in a while.

An "advantage" of a 3D set is that the panels are supposedly a little better (because of the 3D requirements) for 2D.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by balla01 /forum/post/21568060

That's exactly the way I use it and I'm glad I have it. It's a fresh change now and then.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Are LCD panels even fast enough to actually, truly support 240Hz refresh rate?

And since we have no sets that actually can accept even 120Hz input IMHO 240Hz is totally meaningless.

·
Registered
184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 /forum/post/21570001

Are LCD panels even fast enough to actually, truly support 240Hz refresh rate?

And since we have no sets that actually can accept even 120Hz input IMHO 240Hz is totally meaningless.

Yes, without actual high Hz input it is definetly meaningless except for the 3D. 60hz of noticeable flickering per eye vs. 120hz per eye where flicker is impossible to perceive. I think the high-end Sonys are capable of 240hz but thats something I heard, not sure. Midrange Sonys just fake it with backlight scanning though.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Are there any 480Hz displays currently being produced?--I heard alot about them a year or two ago but haven't seen any of them.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
240Hz for 2D content can insert 3 extra frames for each pair of 60Hz frames to better reduce motion blur.

For 3D it enables the unit to insert a Black frame or equivalent between each pair of 1080 3D frames to reduce/elimnate video crosstalk.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There were many people complaining that the D6xxx series was NOT full HD when in 3D mode (meaning not 1080p) and that the signal was being downgraded when 3D mode went into effect

I don't know if this was resolved or not, but here's a link about it:

http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/D6x...L_HD_3D_Defect

·
Registered
827 Posts
Definitely a difference in 3d crosstalk between my 120 Vizio and my 240 Vizio. Killzone 3 suffered from major crosstalk on the 120 hz, but there is almost none on the 240. I don't notice much difference, if any, during normal 2d veiwing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts