AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was just wondering if you have this problem with directv? I have time warner cable, and have had nothing but problems with it since going to hd. I have been experiencing a lot of pixelating on show with more movements and sports. I had a suppose to be top technicians from time warner cable came yesterday to look at all our problems, what a joke. He told the pixelating that am experiencing is just a little picture interference and am going to experience that, after her sat there and thought about it awhile. He claimed he gets it to. But is not just a minor little picture problem what it does it all the time on certain shows. Then on the freezing and flickering problems he told me that it could be the line but the line says the signal is great but it could be, but since it says not it is okay. So he is going to blog it for a couple of days and get back to me. He did absolutely nothing while hear. He did keep saying well it is cable so, well it is cable so. This is a third different technician I have had out here to look at it. I thought hd is suppose to be clear. Does this happen on directv?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmwwe /forum/post/16980590

Hi. I was just wondering if you have this problem with directv? I have time warner cable, and have had nothing but problems with it since going to hd. I have been experiencing a lot of pixelating on show with more movements and sports. I had a suppose to be top technicians from time warner cable came yesterday to look at all our problems, what a joke. He told the pixelating that am experiencing is just a little picture interference and am going to experience that, after her sat there and thought about it awhile. He claimed he gets it to. But is not just a minor little picture problem what it does it all the time on certain shows. Then on the freezing and flickering problems he told me that it could be the line but the line says the signal is great but it could be, but since it says not it is okay. So he is going to blog it for a couple of days and get back to me. He did absolutely nothing while hear. He did keep saying well it is cable so, well it is cable so. This is a third different technician I have had out here to look at it. I thought hd is suppose to be clear. Does this happen on directv?

Short answer, no.

Cheers

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Fast moving or panning HD video content requires more bandwidth to send and receive. So if your cable company is not allocating enough bandwidth and/or enough of the bandwidth is not being received error free then pixelation will occur. It is not an inteference issue.

·
Registered
22,646 Posts
What's the make/model of the TV?

What's the make/model of the STB?

How is the STB connected to the TV (component/DVI/HDMI)?

Is the connection straight from the STB to the TV or going through an AVR (or switch)?

How do you have the video output resolution setup in the STB?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The model of tv is Sony kd32l5000

The stv box is Scientific Atlanta 8300hdc dvr

It is connected by a sony hdmi cable

Connected from box to tv

It is displaying at 720p for hd and 480p for sd

I have tried 5 different hdtv's and 5 different stb's and two different hdmi cable and component cables, and it did the same with all of them.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
All broadcast TV is susceptible to varying levels of pixelation due to the compression required for efficient distribution. (OTA, cable, satellite, & even FIOS) Pretty much the only way to avoid it is with DVD or Blu Ray. I have rarely seen it on either of those formats. If you have a larger screen, or sit too close you will notice it a lot more also.

·
Registered
22,646 Posts
If they were 5 TV's of the same make/model, then it could just be the refresh rate of the TV itself. Just a guess...

Or,

1) could be poor signal from the cableco (no matter what they say).

2) Have you tried sending 1080i instead of 720p (yes, I realize your TV has a native resolution of 720p).

3) Have you tried connecting the cable (from cableco) directly to the TV an use the internal QAM tuner (as a test)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried different models sony, vizio, samsung.

I have tried 1080i.

If you connect the cable directly to the cable though the picture is not as good, and you dont get as many channels.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules /forum/post/16987291

All broadcast TV is susceptible to varying levels of pixelation due to the compression required for efficient distribution. (OTA, cable, satellite, & even FIOS) Pretty much the only way to avoid it is with DVD or Blu Ray. I have rarely seen it on either of those formats. If you have a larger screen, or sit too close you will notice it a lot more also.

Still, the answer to the question : Do you ( I ) experience a lot of pix-elation on Direct TV ? Answer continues to be no.

Cheers

·
Registered
22,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmwwe /forum/post/16987981

I have tried 1080i.

If you connect the cable directly to the cable though the picture is not as good, and you dont get as many channels.

All TV's have PQ issues..... check.

1080i, same problem.... check.

Direct connect to TV... picture not as good? H-m-m-m... that's strange with "digital" or analog for that matter.

not as many channels. Of course, that's why I said "as a test".

I don't know what to suggest other than:

1) have the cableco resolve your dissatisfaction

2) sub to D*

Note: If you sub to D* and still have a problem, be prepared for 1 or 2 years commitment without penalty.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmwwe /forum/post/16987981

I have tried 1080i.

He was trying to find out if your TV has a QAM tuner, ie digital tuner built in that could decode the cable, most newer HDTV's do. You could certainly try this method and let it scan channels and see how they look. I'm willing to bet you get your locals in HD and many more in SD this way. What would it hurt as a way to test your signal?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
As pointed out by Ratman the TV's digital tuner will accept either OTA 8VSB digital or QAM digital broadcasts and will rescale them to the TV's native 1366x768 fixed pixel resolutiion. See:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...specifications

You will never get as many clear QAM digtial channels from your cable company as you will OTA digital channels since the cable companies are only required to broadcast unencrypted(in the clear) one digtal channel from each high powered local OTA broadcaster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts