AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless I'm mistaken, the general consensus on projector usage, is that every time you strike the bulb, it's the equivalent of using the projector for 3 or so hours. So, anytime you turn your projector on, and use it for less than the normal time do you feel quilty?

Lately, I've noticed that alot of times, I'll turn my projector on, and just use it to watch one movie. A movie that might only be 1 hour and 45 minutes, or maybe 2 hours long. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking... "Damn, should I have really only used this thing for a 2 hour session?". I've owned projectors for several years now, and this is a pretty new occurance for me. Normally, I would use the projector for at least 3 hours, sometimes much more. Sometimes for 5 or 6 hours. It would kinda be like an evening with the projector. Play some video games, watch a movie, maybe watch a little TV, whatever. But I would normally use it for a solid 3 hours, if not more.

Nowadays, it seems with my kids, and things I have to do at home, I don't get a chance to sit back and unwind till around 8:45 or 9pm, and I'll watch a movie or whatever, but about 2 hours later, I gotta start thinking about hitting the sack and getting ready for work the next day. So I end up with alot of these 2 hour sessions, or even 1 hour 45 minutes. I guess it's just something I'm going to have to live with, and if I have to buy a new bulb much earlier than normal so be it...

I will admit however... that I do feel a bit quilty...

How bout you?

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/13642831

Unless I'm mistaken, the general consensus on projector usage, is that every time you strike the bulb, it's the equivalent of using the projector for 3 or so hours.

I had no idea. I have used my PJ for even shorter sessions (Pixar shorts ayone?) and didn't know about this.

Can any expert on the subject chime in, please?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I would definitely feel guilty. Fortunately, we don't have to - we're both retired and night-owls, so the PJ is on for 4-6 hours at a crack. In general, if I can't guarantee at least 2 hours of viewing (a short movie + some TV - very unusual), I just don't turn it on, but watch the movie (usually a "made for TV one") on our flat panel HDTV set (not as satisfying, but with my sound system it's acceptable).

On the other hand, if you lose 200 hours off the lamp life, your lamp cost goes from around $0.20/hour to around $0.25/hour. That shouldn't 'break the bank".

·
Registered
785 Posts
Interesting question. Like CT_Wilson, I too am retired and home most of the time. So our PJ generally goes on between 10AM and 1PM and stays on till 7:30PM. But there have been times when we've been busy away from the house all day and when we get home we're not quite ready for sleep but not really into watching anything long like a 2 hour movie. And since our PJ is our only "TV" besides the one in the kitchen, we have to either turn on the PJ or go to Plan B. Plan B is watching a DVD on a laptop that we put in front of the two of us. No guilt but not the best solution either. In any case, those less than 2-hour PJ sessions are so few and far between that it's not really an issue. That said, it is something to which we obviously give some thought.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/13642831

So I end up with alot of these 2 hour sessions, or even 1 hour 45 minutes. I guess it's just something I'm going to have to live with, and if I have to buy a new bulb much earlier than normal so be it...

I don't see how it makes you buy a bulb earlier than normal. Maybe earlier hours wise, but not calender time wise (which is what really matters if you ask me).

Anyway, on to your question, we almost always use it 2 hours at a time. Similar situation, after the kiddo's are down there's time for one movie then bed. We're lucky to hit 10 hours/week. Even if our bulb life is reduced in half to 1500 hours, that's still 3 years. Good enough for me!

So, in short, no I don't feel guilty about using my home theater to watch a movie. That's what it's for!

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david /forum/post/13643269

I don't see how it makes you buy a bulb earlier than normal. Maybe earlier hours wise, but not calender time wise (which is what really matters if you ask me).

Anyway, on to your question, we almost always use it 2 hours at a time. Similar situation, after the kiddo's are down there's time for one movie then bed. We're lucky to hit 10 hours/week. Even if our bulb life is reduced in half to 1500 hours, that's still 3 years. Good enough for me!

So, in short, no I don't feel guilty about using my home theater to watch a movie. That's what it's for!

Thats a really good point, I never thought of it like that. If you turn it off for 2 hours, youve used 5 hours per day and thats your calender use. If you turn it off at 5 hours, youve still used 5 hours per day so it does not matter calender-wise. Very good observance.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm retired too and I am finally in a position, both time and money wise, not to worry about this at all. When I want to view my projector for whatever length of time and for whatever reason I do so. When the bulb starts to go I will buy another or upgrade to a more modern projector. I will be 60 years old soon and I don't want to stress over such things.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Why feel guilty, you bought a projector for the experience. If you really want to watch a movie, why feel you have to use the 'other tv' because you can't justify the loss of bulb life? Sure its ideal to let it run, but I'd rather be able to watch a movie in my theater than in the family room with the dogs chewing bones and the kids running and playing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I start mine up every morning for a half hour for the news and again at around 6:30 till 10 or 11. I didn't buy it to worry about when it might go out, or when it will break. I bought it to enjoy it and thats exactly what I am doing!

When the time comes, I will change the bulb or buy a new "better" one.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't feel guilty, have owned projectors for about 5 years now, I have run 1/2 hour a time, 1 hour, etc. I don't do the 1/2 hour frequently and try to avoid it but I also don't worry over it if that's all the time I have at the moment. The bulb is a consumable good. It is meant to be replaced over time. Why fret over it?

·
Registered
616 Posts
The projectors is my only source of TV so nope, can't say as I feel guilty. I suppose it's the price you pay for having a 106" HDTV lol.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
It's not how long you use it for, it's how long inbetween bulb strikes. Don't wotty about how long you use it for (unless it's 20 minutes) because you are using it for your enjoyment. Just be careful about shutting it down and then striking the bulb an hour later.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Maybe for an hour I would. But many movies are around the 90min mark.

I often screen one movie and turn it off for the evening afterwards.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
I typically use my projector for 2-3 hours at a time. But I occasionally will turn it on for less than 2 hours and I definitely do not feel guilty. My PJ is rated at 5K hours in low lamp mode (Mits 4900) and I hope to get at least 4K hours off the bulb. I typically watch about 1K hours a year. If I can get 3-4 years out of my bulb and PJ I will be satisfied.

·
Registered
670 Posts
just enjoy your pj and worry about the bulb when it goes, if anything use the forthcoming stimulus check as a projector bulb emergency fund, haha.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my pj is on 10-12 hours a day, i leave it on if i go out for less than 1 hour. i feel guilty about the hour of wasted electricity.

but i do have 10300 hours on my bulb.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
after 3.5 years, my pj/lamp time is up to a whopping 750 hours
with no issues at all.

i have never used pj for more than 3 hours (usually 2) at any one time in one day and usually only watch 6-7 movies/concerts per month, thus the low hour count. i love movies/concerts on the big screen but i like the anticipation of a great flic/show almost as much so i put them off a little-but as i get older, i put stuff like that off much less.

i have a cheapo flat panel in kitchen for actual tv viewing for news, mash, mostly sd stuff, a little hdtv. watching the flat panel also helps reduce lamp usage time on pj, not that i worry so much about that either, anymore.

i also listen to a lot of music.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/13646477

after 3.5 years, my pj/lamp time is up to a whopping 750 hours
with no issues at all.

i also listen to a lot of music.

My projector hit 1280 hours in 7 months.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts