AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread on here, someone mentioned a bit of seasick feeling when playing fps. I get that feeling as well, but wasnt sure if it was anything to worry about or if it was just me imagination running.

A few titles like Bioshock and the old Doom and kz2 make me very nauseous?

i'm not sure how to describe the feeling, just that my eyes feel very fatigued, a headache starts, and my stomach gets very upset, like i ate 4 bean burritos and washed it down with room temp coronas.

i havent really narrowed it down, but damned if i can play more than 2 minutes w/o feeling like i have to vomit

anyone know what that is? or what elements of the game induce the side effects im experiencing?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
This was discussed some time back, but I forget which thread. I know that I and many others got nauseas playing Half Life 2, but certainly FPSs can do this to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the feeling that i was going to throw my cookies up when i used to play mirror's edge everytime i played that game. I played it on a 26" tv. I am playing mw2 on 46" lcd and have only had that issue once now. Dont know if it was the tv or the game, all i do know is that it is not a grand feeling.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Never happens to me, thankfully. Probably b/c I've played video games with my nose 2 feet from the TV screen since I was 4 years old, but it's basically motion sickness...without the motion, but your eyes play tricks on your mind/body that cause you to feel nauseous. It's more likely to happen when playing a FPS b/c you're spinning around in circles and looking around much quicker than in other types of games.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
It only happened to me once. It was in Cod4 MW during the ship mission. Only time I've felt sick. With the screen waving while the ship was sinking... wasn't able to complete the mission in one sitting. Had to take several 10 mins shots.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp7 /forum/post/18242551

Another thread on here, someone mentioned a bit of seasick feeling when playing fps. I get that feeling as well, but wasnt sure if it was anything to worry about or if it was just me imagination running.

i'm not sure how to describe the feeling, just that my eyes feel very fatigued, a headache starts, and my stomach gets very upset, like i ate 4 bean burritos and washed it down with room temp coronas.

i havent really narrowed it down, but damned if i can play more than 2 minutes w/o feeling like i have to vomit

anyone know what that is? or what elements of the game induce the side effects im experiencing?

I think the FOV has a lot to do with this (field of view)

I remember back when I was playing quake 2 i'd increase the FOV to 120 degrees instead of the standard 90 degrees so i could see more on my screen, it gave a wierd streching and such to the game and I could see how it would make some people sick.

Also, when developers create zoom scopes for weapons all they do is just decrease the field of view and slap an overlay on it, so perhaps going in and out and changing the field of views is what is causing your nausea?

Also do you game on a huge TV?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've felt like that playing grand theft auto 4. A little playing mw2(usually the single player campaign). It usually takes me about 30 mins before i realize i start feeling like crap. I have noticed if i put a little extra distance between me and the tv it helps.

However, I absolutely CANNOT watch someone play an fps. That will really mess me up.

You could start popping some dramamine to play fps!

·
Registered
802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp7 /forum/post/18242551

I recommend playing Descent to build up a tolerance.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv /forum/post/18242918

However, I absolutely CANNOT watch someone play an fps. That will really mess me up.

i cant do this either. i really will lose my marbles after a minute. same as watching others brush their teeth. i feel so queezy

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
It does effect some people.

Overtly wide or narrow FOV’s seem to be the cause historically. But more and more, better photorealistic GFX might be tricking the brain into other unconscious sensory perceptions.

I actually got a whiff of Vertigo a few months back when I was playing Uncharted 2, during the beginning scene with the train rolling back off the cliff, as the camera changes angles and looks down into the canyon. That was a first to me, but what I was seeing triggered my brain to yell at me, this is damn dangerous and high up! Pretty weird feeling that a game can do that when you’re safely sitting on your couch.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I have been playing FPS since Doom came out on the PC but always get motion sickness. But I found I get less motion sickness on FPS games that doesn't jerk the camera all over the place like simulated walking/running with the view going up and down. Fortunately, many FPS that came out in the last 3 years have less up and down motion when walking/running. For FPS that keeps flipping the camera view all over the place, I always get motion sickness because there isn't anything stationary on the screen to focus my eyes on.

I couldn't play FPS games like Mirror's Edge, Prey or any FPS games that keep moving the camera all over the place.

By crouching when playing FPS games, it slows down the camera movement. That works if the game requires sneaking but for online multiplayer, this method kills me because I'm too slow.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Yes, I am very susceptible to this phenomenon. Often times I can not play for more than 2 or 3 hours max per day on some games (not that I get that much free time at any one sitting anyway.)

All 3D games affect me to some extent, with various 1st/3rd shooters being particularly bad. When I played the Uncahrted games, I had to sit in the back row to get further from the screen. I'm currently playing Dragon Age Origins, which I have been fine sitting in the front row for. Although when I tried the demo for Deadspace (where you are trying to maneuver around in tight corridors, etc.) I got nauseous very quickly.

You're not alone.

-Suntan

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The only instance I remember is when I took a 2 month break from COD4. Came back to it and tried to play at the sensitivity I had left it on (either 7 or 8). Got super dizzy, and a little motion sick, but just turned the sensitivity down a couple of notches and managed to deal with it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what's weird though is games that run a gillion mph like sonic the hedgehog dont bother me a bit.

i had an experience similar to yours tyrant..on highrise, when i go out to the lone span bridge, i can not go from end to end without stopping and looking away. here i am, sitting on my couch, and i get all messed up trying to balance myself running across a bridge lol

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think my post on BF:BC2 is what sparked this conversation on.. I played the single player campaign for about 2 hours last night and suddenly realized that I had to stop and lay down before I got really sick.

I have played the demo and the beta for countless hours, so I have a feeling there is some head bob added, or something causing it to trigger this motion sickness.

I bought some Ginger root pills, I'm going to try those tonight and hopefully I'll get my body realizing that it's just a game and there is no need to get sick.

PS, I used to play Quake 3 with a 140 degree FOV, I got a little sick at first but I got used to it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle /forum/post/18242970

This article offers some suggestions on how to minimize this.

I have definitely experienced motion sickness when playing FPSs, which is why after reading this article , I figured I shouldn't try playing Mirror's Edge.

yeah the demo for that game made me feel queezy, first game ever to do that

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintz /forum/post/18243167

I think my post on BF:BC2 is what sparked this conversation on.. I played the single player campaign for about 2 hours last night and suddenly realized that I had to stop and lay down before I got really sick.

I have played the demo and the beta for countless hours, so I have a feeling there is some head bob added, or something causing it to trigger this motion sickness.

I bought some Ginger root pills, I'm going to try those tonight and hopefully I'll get my body realizing that it's just a game and there is no need to get sick.

PS, I used to play Quake 3 with a 140 degree FOV, I got a little sick at first but I got used to it.

You can turn off the headbob in BFBC2! Go to options

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't get sick per say...but I do get dizzy or disoriented to the point where I need to take a break. The only games that ever do that to me are stuff like decent or space combat games. Problem is I love playing those games...just gotta do it in shorter gaming sessions than usual.

FPS games are fine for me...I don't play them nearly as much now but I used play the Battlefield series back when BF1942 was around. Never had issues with games like that.

Probably also has to do with the size of your screen and your attachment to the game. If you are more immersed in it you will likely have more issues with motion sickness I imagine.

·
Registered
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies /forum/post/18243244

You can turn off the headbob in BFBC2! Go to options

sweet, I'll give that a try

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts