AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys use software to design your HT? If so whats the best one out there... I found it helpful a few years back for furniture placement, moldings, etc. have since lost the discs.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm going with sketchup. If you've done any modeling sketchup is a little odd to start out. It is an attempt to model more like people draw. I'm getting the hang of it and it is easy enough for basic needs. It does seem to lack good tools to make furniture but as long as you are just looking for placement of blockish chairs it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Google Sketchup.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Paper or Sketchup, sometimes both for me. I've also read of people using Visio for much more precise/technical drawings - but it was much more detailed than I needed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTech /forum/post/16946796

I'm going with sketchup. If you've done any modeling sketchup is a little odd to start out. It is an attempt to model more like people draw. I'm getting the hang of it and it is easy enough for basic needs. It does seem to lack good tools to make furniture but as long as you are just looking for placement of blockish chairs it should be fine.

I agree sketchup is a little odd at first but does a good job of helping you visualise what you are trying to accomplish. Getting exact measurements can be a little difficult so also making paper notes would help to have some building plans with numbers attached. Otherwise it is also fun to just play around with and it's free!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting... Im not all that good with sketching but good with computers though not with CAD systems. I found using modeling/CAD helps me decide on some of the details. I dont need to generally lay out the room but more on the details and how things look. I tried using Punch but is lacking some fundemental features (molding cant be put on a sofet, cant create sloped/angled walls) I would also like to share some of my ideas with this community (export to gif or pdf)... example do I put rear speakers on the angled part of my ceiling or in the sofet above an alcove.. hard to depict with out a good image..

Im not into using Auto CAD but something of similar sorts with the necessary add-ins (furniture, etc.)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Oh, and this may be of interest to some, too... Here's a post I made in the thread for the awesome little FRV app for finding first reflections and locating absorbers.

FRV thread:
*free* software to help determine your first reflection points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb /forum/post/10403480

I thought you guys might be interested in my process using Jeff's super-sweet little app.

First, let me say I'm a major freak about being able to visualize ideas before I build them... Hence, my addiction to building everything (and I do mean everything) in 3D with SketchUp to see the idea and make sure I like it before I start cutting, nailing, etc.

So, this app is great, right? Absolutely... render reflection points, use grid to take measurements. Done, right? Wait a sec, what will that LOOK like? Yes, I'm a complete freak. Anyway, it's not a problem at all with Jeff's app and SketchUp.

1. Render the reflection points in the app, and move around to get a nice oblique view of your wall.

2. Grab a screen shot.

3. Past into a photo editor and crop the wall down.

4. Import into SketchUp as a texture and map onto the wall.

5. Play with SketchUp to find appropriate panel sizes and locations (and if you're anal retentive like I am) make sure you like the layout and sizes.

6. Slap dimensions on your drawing in SketchUp and print to build/order/install panels!

Here are the renders from SketchUp:

Image texture mapped onto wall:

2x4 ATS Acoustics panel placement idea:

Hidden line rendering with a couple of dimensions:

The author could even add an option to save the walls out as images ready to map in SketchUp... no photo app would be necessary, then.

SC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.