AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently working on my theater build (Thread coming soon) and I am struggling with the idea that I will have a door on my side wall that is only about 4-6" from my front screen wall. I just think it will look weird, and wanted to see if anybody else has this situation. If so does it look ok?

Thanks

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,116 Posts
I've built plenty with side wall doors, as long as you can fit the screen/screen wall it will be functional. Rear doors interfere with the riser design, and front doors require a pretty wide room. As for light spilling, this is not a commercial theater where you have a lot of strangers coming and going as they please. Think of this as a personal screening room for your immediate family and select friends. At my house if someone needs to get up I usually pause the movie.

As for looking odd you can actually build a somewhat hidden door if that is your goal.

From the Bacon Race.

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/bigmouthindc/media/Ds Theater/DSC03876.jpg.html

If you would post a sketch of your floor plan and show us the layout of the room and the immediate space outside the door, maybe we will have some ideas.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Mine was originally designed with the door just clearing the front stage. When I redesigned it I moved the door to the back of the room (required tearing down and redoing half the basement though, lol), and as Big said, that introduces it's own problems. I ended up having to build steps going up to the entrance to avoid screwing with the rear riser.

HT is all about compromises. I think a plain door looks tacky but if you can do something like Big pictured, I think it works perfectly fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.