·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW the BS advice at the end is amazing. Loosen up those speakers??? ARRRGGGHHHH if only I had the sinister mind to take peoples hard earned money by telling lies.
Been a while. Good to see you around.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Oh god. I used to have an original MoFi pressing of that. It could be worth millions! And what about all the direct-to-discs I used to have of some of my favorite LA session guys (don't laugh, some of them were great, I really, really enjoyed Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour for example and have seen them both in LA clubs many times). But what is even worse is the apologia by Fred Kaplan linked in the Yahoo article.

Spend your money on speakers and if you must, on a turntable/cartridge. Everything else is bling and at a certain point, not too far up the cost curve, even transducers are bling.

·
Banned
680 Posts
you must read the original article -- it's a hoot. Check out the 'listening room'.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/hot-stampers/

Oh my, reading now!

EDIT - Just read it!

Here's my favorite part of the advertorial: “There’s actually little reason why any two discs should sound the same,” says Masterdisk’s Scott Hull. “A grading system based on the different significant factors makes sense: surface noise, relative distortion during playback, and things like skips and major pops.” Before this becomes a hot stamper endorsement, Hull lowers the boom: “Saying one disc is wrong and another is right is very controversial. Only the producer, the mastering, and cutting engineers really know what that record was supposed to sound like.”

Hmm... Red Book CD is looking a lot better to me now, more so than ever before!I like listen to music on occasion, utilizing LP's as a source, not because I believe that it sounds better, because of it's nostalgic qualities, which take me back to the early days of so-called Hi-Fi recordings... LP's have never been linear from one end to the other, fidelity has improved as a result of Red Book CD releasesand with them the advent of the machines that play them. In wisdom, I will add, IMO!

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gee, what would I get for a Lennon album autographed by him and Mark David Chapman?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Kinda reminds me when I was a youngster living at home. A bedroom full speakers and electronics. His method of running his speaker wires made me smile. No tripping hazard !

And yes, I got a lot of vinyl from the 60's til the creation of CD's. Some day the turntable will come out of retirement.

·
Banned
680 Posts
Kinda reminds me when I was a youngster living at home. A bedroom full speakers and electronics. His method of running his speaker wires made me smile. No tripping hazard !

And yes, I got a lot of vinyl from the 60's til the creation of CD's. Some day the turntable will come out of retirement.
I got nothing but respect for the kid in the picture. I only wish i has his setup at his age - bizarre wire setup and all... curiosity is an honorable trait at the age! He's figuring things out for himself!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I dont think thats a kid in the pic. I think thats the azzhat who thinks all this crap is true and owns the store. More power to him to a certain extent. He is good at ripping people off with bunk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts