AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
No-if the power goes out the cable will likely go out also. I would rather have light than a tivo when the power drops out in a storm. I can cathc up later pretty much anything since allmost everything is shown over and over and over since broadcasters dont have enough content to fill all the time slots on all the useless channels we pay for every month.... :)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
My gear isnt hooked upt o a ups but a component style surge conditioner. If I do miss a show do to a power outage, which has never happened its no big deal to me.

I normally try to turn off my gear during a thunderstorm, but if a piece of equipment were to get fried due to one(also has never happened)! Itd be a excuse for me to buy something newer & or better to replace it with....:D

Reactions: clarkss12

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
All my DVRs are hooked up to UPS, but I am not trying to continue operation when there is a power failure, just "ride through" the interruptions to power I get as the power company's circuit breakers go out and in if there are lightning strikes (very common here). This is to protect the disk drives, which are very prone to damage when you get multiple interruptions to power in a very short period. (I speak from experience).

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,447 Posts
It isn't unusual to get a half-second outage, so the TVs, DVR, Blu-ray player, Comcast "gateway" (modem/router), and the PC & monitor are on UPSes (3 total). I am not overly fond of when a half-second flicker causes the DVR to lose its code and program guide, it takes about half an hour before it knows how to be a DVR again, and two full days to reload the program guide.

But if there is an actual power outage of more than a second, I start graceful shutdown of the equipment and, if the power is still out, I'll unplug the UPSes. Same story when I start hearing thunder: while surge suppression should work, being totally disconnected from power and cable is even safer so I will spend a few extra seconds turning off the UPSes, pulling power cords by the handles, and disconnecting the coaxes (the one at the DVR and the one at the Comcast "gateway").

I have had friends mention equipment going out and needing replacement after power outages and thunder storms, but I think my paranoia has spared me most of that.

The store that sold me the UPS the DVR and small TV are on told me I could continue watching TV during an outage, but I would be too concerned of a possible surge when power is reconnected. And the DVR does become easily confused when it loses signal, which happens when we have an outage.

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
TiVo, TV, HT, all but the lights I guess. I have lost power dozens of time over the last 5 years. I have never lost my cable. My power still jumps to 150V about twice a month. Not having a UPS is like driving a car without a spare.

·
Super Moderator
18,726 Posts
Have a sizeable UPS on my rack to make sure nothing has to reboot during thunderstorms, which always cause some flickering. Cable box, HTPC, antenna pre-amp and my DirecTV boxes are all on that or individual UPS units. Everything just has to hold for 30 seconds. By then, the generator has kicked on :D.

For me, cable tends to stay on after a power outage for about an hour or so. Sometimes, it doesn't go out at all. More often, the cable goes completely out but I still have power, storms or not. Naturally, antenna and D* recordings are glitch free and complete through any power outage.

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
I had an amplifier in my attic once. It was for my FM antenna. When the power failed I lost the radio I was using for just that occasion. After the first amp died, I put the new one on a small UPS and never had a problem again. It's always the little things like a cable modem, router, switch that you forget until the first power failure.

My electric company sent me a letter years ago when I got a smart meter. They define a failure over six seconds as an outage. They also will keep power off for up to six minutes to verify the lines. After six minutes it's a "serious" outage and they start posting locations on their web site. Somehow they always forecast a "two hour" repair time. If it hits four hours I break out the pure sine wave inverter for the fridge or heat in the winter. A UPS doesn't work with a heavy startup load, and an inductive load really wants a good sine wave. Things you learn when you get old.

·
Registered
11,644 Posts
Ok, I'm old and so is my metaphor. But I still live by my UPS everywhere possible. I sleep better, and I need my sleep. ;)
I also have my Tivo and everything else on my rack(including Sony HDTV) with the exception of my AVR on a 1300w APC UPS. The downside is the battery needs to be replaced ~ every 4 years, at ~$50 :( and thats a commercial price, retail is closer to $80 and close to the price of the UPS :eek:(my prices are ~4 years ago, I'll probably get the warning to replace shortly)....
I used to have several other TVs on separate APC UPSs but one by one as the batteries died I shelved them. They were purchased very cheaply near black Fridays and a new battery would have been double what I paid for them :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts