AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering trying to find an open-box RCA DTC-100. If I find one, I would only use it for HDNET and OTA reception, and would keep my DirecTiVo for standard DirecTV broadcasts. Do I have to activate the HDTV receiver in order to receive HDNET? I'd hate to have to pay the $5/mo charge for the extra receiver for just one channel...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Check with DTV, I dont think you will have too just pull the card from your tivo and put it in the dtc-100 I beleive it should work.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes. The receiver HAS to be activated to receive any programming except the preview channel. Your old card will work with the new box, however, youll have to call DirectTV to have them activate the card for the new receiver, They will need the receiver serial number.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you guys misunderstood me. I'm not looking to replace an old receiver with the HDTV one, I'm looking to add the HDTV receiver, to be used solely for OTA and HDNET. I still need full DirecTV functionality on my existing DirecTiVo for standard DirecTV broadcasts...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am in the same boat is you are. Yes, you do have to activate the receiver with DTV and pay the extra $5 per month for the second receiver. The second receiver will mirror that of the 1st receiver getting all of the same channels as before. I use my old RCA as the TIVO slave since it has the "low speed" port that the newer HD receivers don't have. (Except the sony which is too slow for channel changes)

Good luck!!

Brian

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I find it difficult to believe that you would hesitate to pay $4.95 per month to get HdNet which has the highest quality picture of any hd channel, period. If $4.95 per month makes that much difference in your life and budget, then you probably have more important things to deal with other than hd reception. Don't we all piss away at least $5 per month on other garbage.

One day of viewing HdNet will be worth much more than the $5 to you. Wait and see.

I use Direct Tv for just this channel, pay $7.99, and consider myself lucky to be able to get it.

Shelly

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yea,

I just added a DTC100 - I am a dish customer - and I am paying 12 bucks a month (they dont have the 7.99 deal any more)

I am going to cancel HBO on dish, so that will even it out, but it was well worth it...

-maynard

·
Registered
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maynard
Yea,

I just added a DTC100 - I am a dish customer - and I am paying 12 bucks a month (they dont have the 7.99 deal any more)

I am going to cancel HBO on dish, so that will even it out, but it was well worth it...

-maynard
No more $7.99 deal ! What exactly do you get for $12- Is this the HBO ala carte or something else?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't recall saying that I *wouldn't* pay it. If I have to, I certainly will pay it. The point is that it's silly to *have* to pay $5/mo for one channel. Hell, the $5 mirroring fee is a complete ripoff even when using the full programming. DirecTV REALLY needs to drop those mirroring fees if they want to attract people away from cable...

·
Registered
244 Posts
zmeister -

I am getting the HBO HD feed, and HDNET.

I dont get any of the other HBO feeds, as I dont have a LNB pointing at the 101 sat. I am using a Dish Network Dish500.

The following pertains only to someone trying to use a Dish 500 with directTV (and a TWIN LNB - ie an integrated switch in the LNB so it puts out 119 and 110 on each cable)

I had to argue with the DirecTV people for a while. I had a picture on channel 400, but not 100. (400 is off the 119 bird, 100 is off the 101 bird) And I have nothing pointing at 101.

When they asked me if i had a picture on 100, I said no. Wrong answer. (just make sure you have it on 400, thats the one you want). She said she couldnt turn on the service if i didnt have a picture. I said fine, lets pretend i have a picture. Nope.

I tried explaining, I only wanted the HighDef HBO (I knew the HDNet would come along for the ride) and I didnt need 101. Nope.

I just hung up and called back and when asked "anything on 100?" I said "sure is!"

I added a 2ghz splitter (power pass on only 1 port) and now the only thing i have to do is put my dish6000 on a channel off the 119 bird, and voila, my dtc100 works. Set up a macro and I am partying...

-maynard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.