AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused. 1 year ago I saw the F38310 38" direct view, widescreen, integrated HDTV decoder and Direct TV HD-Recieve. Jeeze, it was an awesom television which in my opinion was a leader in large screen direct view televisions. But for some reason RCA discontinued the model and has not replaced it.

See my angst is that I am not impressed with any of the other competors and RCA has moved on...

What is the reason the RCA F38310 has been discontinued? Do you know?

http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...45045,00.html?

There were some features that are missing from the TV, like DVI or Firewire..

Here are some quotes from Home Teater Magazine:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?95

.....The F38310 includes many firsts, and a general description should be enough to inspire you to visit your local dealer and check one out. First, at 38 inches diagonally, the F38310 is (as far as I know) the biggest direct-view CRT display on the market. Next, it has built-in HDTV and NTSC tuners. As if that weren't enough, it also has a built-in DirecTV satellite receiver. In one gray, plastic cabinet, you get a TV that reproduces an excellent 1080i picture and can receive just about any HD or SD broadcast. All you need is a DirecTV subscription and a dish for satellite reception. This is good. No, it's great. If you're a quality-conscious HD fan who's into the satellite sports packages but still wants to watch regular news and cable programming, then you have to check out this TV......

...The TV scans for the SD and HD broadcast stations in the same sweep. It takes several minutes to do the scan, but it's worth the wait because you then have all the channels in your broadcast area. This is the only system available that allows you to view the standard- and high-definition broadcast stations side by side in the channel order, so you can compare the different standards' picture quality.

All in all, the F38310 is my pick for an all-purpose HDTV that has everything your family will need for the next 10 years. If you want to futureproof your system for all of the viewing options that are out there, this is the TV to buy. Considering its price and features, there isn't anything that can match the RCA F38310.

Build Quality: 92

Value: 97

Features: 97

Performance: 90

Ergonomics: 85

Thanks...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yes, I have one and I love it. Had one problem early on which was fixed quickly.

The reason? I suspect they can't make any money at the prices they were being sold at when closing out. Probably a very tough sell to raise the price back to $2,000 plus even with new features.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I suspect the reason would be the failure rate. Seems like an awful lot of these sets have trouble within the first year(aka warranty period). Mine did. Combine service costs with the low initial cost, and it's hard to see them making a profit from this set. Once fixed, though, this set is awesome. I consider myself lucky to get one while the gettin' was good. I would hate to be sitting around now, knowing this set was once available, and not be able to get one.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The Circuit City store nearest me has their last F38310 (the demo unit) on sale for $1350. I stood in front of it (and played with the menus, etc.) for quite a while this very morning, trying to convince myself that its picture quality was good enough, but I couldn't.

I'm in the market for a large 16:9 direct view display or TV. CC has the 34" flat screen CRT HDTVs from Sony, Panasonic, Zenith, and the new RCA. The Sony blew them all away. The F38310 had the worst picture quality, in my opinion. I sure wish it didn't because it's a nice package -- big screen, built-in tuners, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Radiophile, if the F3810 didnt do it for you... Definately do not get it. But WOW, 1350 that is cheap. I know the ones that I viewed were superior too other models at that time.. But without a doubt, get the Television that looks the best too you..

Also, when shopping for a new HD or SD television make the sales person hook it up to a DVD player then if you are proficient, use a calibration DVD to calibrate the color. The guys at CC, Best Buy and even Tweeter sometimes do not do the product justice. They hook it up, then never take time to verify that it is producing the best view possible.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have one as do I am sure many of the readers here. IT has an exceptional PQ and beats the pants of the projection TV's imo. I think that RCA discontinued the unit due to in not being a flat-screen TV. All the new TV's are flat and at the high price point it couldn't compete. When I went to get the TV i was going in for a Sony and ended up the RCA as it was much cheaper 1.3k and had a better picture. I think that the 38 RCA is an end to an era. The last huge non-flatscreen TV. I think they were at the limit of the technology and now it will change - Soon all TV's that size will be plasma or projection with the flat-screen tubes also gradually being phased out.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I agree with skelm in his assessment that the TV couldn't compete because it wasn't a flat screen. Personally, I would only purchase a flat-screen TV and I imagine most others purcashing expensive TVs share this opinion.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Circuit City near me had one open box for $1100. I almost thought about it for a second, but then I looked back over at the 34XBR800 and bought that instead. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can have my F38310 when you pry it out of my cold dead hands.

-Nuff Said

·
Registered
405 Posts
had one f38310 for 1yr,snagged a 2nd one for $1299 6 months later from BB,nuf said ,these will suit me just fine for many years.

as far as show room viewing or purchase of a demo,highly consider adding a few hundred more and having unit ISF calibrated,well worth it for any 16x9 but a bargain for the largest 16x9 HDTV tube.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't think you can get any flat face CRT to focus well on 16x9 side's not even corners. Perception that flat is better is not true, only better are reflections, image quality is much lesser. Just like with silver bezels they look good only when there is no picture on the tube.

Artur.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I am eagerly awaiting the return of mine. I got it at CC in October for around $1500. PQ is AWESOME. You have to go by a DVD though and not the crappy split and overcompressed signals the stores feed it.

Unfortunately, mine has a problem--the screen has always appeared "dirty" for lack of a better word. It has stationary dark spots or streaks all over the screen, and had them from day 1. At first, I thought it was just dirt on the outside, and would come off, but alas. You can't see it all the time (like if you're watching a dark picture), but it's always there. Very noticeable on light-to-medium brightness backgrounds. Like looking out a dirty window. The loaner set I have seems to have some of the same problem, but not nearly as severe. (That or I didn't get the exterior completely clean. It was quite filthy.) I think it's a problem with many larger tube tv's.

After much run around (months worth) CC picked it up to take it for servicing. I hope to hell they can fix it. My guess is it's the picture tube. From what I've read the much-publicized problematic DM-1 module couldn't cause this problem, but maybe I'm wrong.

I just want a clean picture. For what was once a $3000 set that shouldn't be too much to ask. I hope it can be fixed. I'm very worried since they don't make them anymore. The 34" flat loaner I have seems so small by comparison (and it's line-doubler sucks big time.)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
If someone sees one for

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If you can get a good one that cheap, I say go for it, but spring for the extended service plan. With the savings you'll still come out way ahead.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I love this set. I've had it since last October, no problems (knock on wood). The only downside is its weight and no wheels on the base. I think it's heavier than my 65" Mits! The HD images are as good as I've seen on any of the newer direct views, and the SD images are excellent as well. The built-in DIRECTV receiver is a nice feature that we probably will not see anymore in newer models.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Those are version numbers on the back of the set somewhere I take it?

mark

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Those are version numbers on the back of the set somewhere I take it?

mark
On the lower left hand side of the unit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.