AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For fairness, add Marantz and HK to the list (and Pioneer "regular").

I'm looking for a "basic" AVR for what will soon be a secondary system, to replace a "surround" speaker bar.

I've omitted Yamaha as I have a Yammie for my main system, but am interested to try something different. In these forums I see lots of references to various Onkyo and Elite models and I am kind of intrigued.

I'll want to spend $500 max, but ideally I'm hoping to get something on closeout in the coming weeks/months (no set timeframe), so that means we could be talking about something that currently is selling for like $650 or $750 (but the stuff currently at $500 that I could later get for $300 is okay too!).

I will only be using a 3 speaker L/C/R setup as there is no adequate place to put any surrounds, and they are really not needed for this application. This will end up being for basic TV watching, but I just want it to sound better than it currently does.

So, 5.1 with no 3D is fine by me - need at least 2 HDMI in (3 or more would be better) and ideally would like to get 100wpc or more - not sure what speakers I'm getting yet, but don't want to have to do external amplification, so would like the AVR to hopefully have sufficient power in its own right. To get this might mean going with something that is 7.1 and 3-D ready, even though I won't actually need these features.

I have no possibility of being able to hear any Onkyo or Marantz in my local market - between the local "box" store and AV shop, various models of all the other brands I mention are available, but I haven't listened to any.

Feel free to jump in with any thoughts - and thanks!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 /forum/post/20892591

For fairness, add Marantz and HK to the list (and Pioneer "regular").

I'm looking for a "basic" AVR for what will soon be a secondary system, to replace a "surround" speaker bar.

I've omitted Yamaha as I have a Yammie for my main system, but am interested to try something different. In these forums I see lots of references to various Onkyo and Elite models and I am kind of intrigued.

I'll want to spend $500 max, but ideally I'm hoping to get something on closeout in the coming weeks/months (no set timeframe), so that means we could be talking about something that currently is selling for like $650 or $750 (but the stuff currently at $500 that I could later get for $300 is okay too!).

I will only be using a 3 speaker L/C/R setup as there is no adequate place to put any surrounds, and they are really not needed for this application. This will end up being for basic TV watching, but I just want it to sound better than it currently does.

So, 5.1 with no 3D is fine by me - need at least 2 HDMI in (3 or more would be better) and ideally would like to get 100wpc or more - not sure what speakers I'm getting yet, but don't want to have to do external amplification, so would like the AVR to hopefully have sufficient power in its own right. To get this might mean going with something that is 7.1 and 3-D ready, even though I won't actually need these features.

I have no possibility of being able to hear any Onkyo or Marantz in my local market - between the local "box" store and AV shop, various models of all the other brands I mention are available, but I haven't listened to any.

Feel free to jump in with any thoughts - and thanks!

I have a Onkyo 705 and a Pioneer 1018. I like the Pioneer due to the fact that I find it easier to use, and it does not get as hot as the Onkyo. In fact the Pioneer stays cool to the touch. I cannot speak for the HK or Marantz. Just my personal opinion, but since you asked. I know that I can get a fan to cool the Onkyo, but am happier with the Pioneer, as the Onkyo sits up stairs with a bose system so the wife can listen to the radio/cds as she does her thing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike /forum/post/20892640

I have a Onkyo 705 and a Pioneer 1018. I like the Pioneer due to the fact that I find it easier to use, and it does not get as hot as the Onkyo. In fact the Pioneer stays cool to the touch. I cannot speak for the HK or Marantz. Just my personal opinion, but since you asked. I know that I can get a fan to cool the Onkyo, but am happier with the Pioneer, as the Onkyo sits up stairs with a bose system so the wife can listen to the radio/cds as she does her thing.

Thanks for that. One criticism I have read/heard about "regular" Pioneers is that their stated power ratings are inaccurate. Apparently, the Elite's don't have this problem? I have no idea how true/false this might be.

I can get a screaming deal on a couple of models of Pioneers at my local box store right now, but this commentary has me a little concerned due to the fact that I want as much power as I can get in the price range I'm looking at.

I like what I've read about the Elite's, but they tend to be above what I am wanting to spend, unless you go refurb or can score an open box.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
At this point, the Pioneer Elite models match up with the regular Pioneer models except for the SC series. The Pioneer 1121 uses the same amps as the Elite 52. The 1021 and the Elite 50 I believe. The pioneers last year were very underpowered in my opinion. I had a 1020 for a couple weeks and had to return it because it just couldn't handle loud levels. I've heard the new Pioneers have more this year than last year although you would still probably get a little more power with a similarly priced Denon or Onkyo. That doesn't mean the Onkyo or Denon will sound better, it just depends on your system and how much power you need. I like the Denon 2112 and the Yamaha 867 in the 400 to 500 range. Above that I would look at the Onkyo 709/370. It's been reported that the 09 series run cooler and in turn will be more reliable. I need to see it to believe it so I don't think I would jump on one yet but that's just me.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
You might want to try A4L if you don't mind refurbished products. They sell Onkyo and Marantz new and refurbed.

I buy refurbed all the time and have very little problems with them. Warranty period is shorter than with new - Harman Kardon excepted since they give same as new warranty with each refurbed product sold - and their customer service is top notch - at least as compared to the likes of Onkyo and others.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I prefer Audyssey so I would go Onkyo or Denon.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Marantz also has Audyssey although they are not discounted like Denon or Yamaha unless you find a previous year model or refurb on Accessories4less.com. I like the new Marantz but hard to justify spending more for them. Some do claim their amp sections are better but don't know how much there is to that. Pioneer VSX is a regular Pioneer with a few extras. Onkyo reliability is questionable. I find that in the store Denon, Pioneer Elite and Marantz all feel pretty hot while Yamaha is less so. They are all on all day. I think if you play with the settings you can get them all to sound very similar. Some allow for more adjustments on room correction than others and there are some differences. It all comes down to what you prefer.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 /forum/post/20892774

Thanks for that. One criticism I have read/heard about "regular" Pioneers is that their stated power ratings are inaccurate. Apparently, the Elite's don't have this problem? I have no idea how true/false this might be.

I can get a screaming deal on a couple of models of Pioneers at my local box store right now, but this commentary has me a little concerned due to the fact that I want as much power as I can get in the price range I'm looking at.

I like what I've read about the Elite's, but they tend to be above what I am wanting to spend, unless you go refurb or can score an open box.

The lower end pioneers are like every other brand. They bench test output at rated power for 2 speakers. With 5 channels power drops to 2/3 and 7 channels is about 1/2 rated power. This is a given and still drives most speakers loud and clean. The sc pioneers are known for having a "pro type" class d amp that is more efficient and very robust in power compared to most receiver amps. You can buy class d external amps that do 1000 watts easy but not cheap!

As long as you only use 3 speakers you may not need huge power. Adding a subwoofer will help a lot. How good a deal you get and on what model?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I recently swapped a Onkyo 3007 for a Marantz 8002. The Marantz is just quieter and more detailed and easily trumps the Onkyo in sound quality, IMO. The 3007 might measure better, power-wise, and it has a more advanced version of audyssey and three-zoned power, but I will still take the better sound of the marantz over the more advanced features and specs of the Onkyo. Just my .02...

·
Registered
52 Posts
just get an integrated amp, ditch the center channel, and invest more in a good L/R speaker. i'd say you won't find a lot performance variances at the $500 price point (how much engineering goes into that $500? everyone is using off the shelf parts anyway) but $500 can get you a nice integrated from NAD, Marantz, Yamaha, ect and those will sound better, plus upgrading to a better L/R speaker that images and stages better will create your phantom center speaker anyway. in the end you own better equipment rather than trying to find the best value among a sea of entry level products.

just my honest opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.