AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my plasma monitor (Panny 50-6uy) and plan on mounting it on the wall. To keep flexibility in room arrangements I was planning on using an articulating wall mount (Chief PDS-2xxx). My questions are:

1) How far off the wall is the front of your plasma?

2) How does it look?

3) Is it worth the extra depth?

4) Can you send pictures?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the Peerless and a PIO 43 and I built it in, so it's not totally the same.

If you don't build it in, you can count on about 5" plus the width of the plasma to the front. That might not sound like a lot, but get a tape measure out and you'll see it is.

It looks good from the front. If you can see it from the side it looks dreadful. The arm and mount are not particularly attractive folded. extended is another story.

It is only worth the depth if you plan on extending it closer. When you do that in a darkened room the first time, you won't care how bad it looks with the light on ;)

Try this link for (bad) pictures of my installation

Remember I built mine in and it's a different mount and plasma, but you will get the idea.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=297022

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have the Premier mount and Pio 433CMX. I posted a picture of it in this thread.

Mine's in a corner, so it's isn't the same as what you're talking about. (I think.) But I'm very happy with the Premier.

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
I have the Panasonic 42" plasma and a Peerless articulating wall mount (I looked at the Chief's, but preferred the Peerless).

I couldn't be happier. My case does not match most people's. The plasma was replacing a tube set that sat within a large entertainment/bookshelf unit. Since the larger plasma wouldn't fit into the same shelf space as the 27" tube set, I mounted the Peerless arm to the back of the shelf and the plasma is therefore held directly in front of the unit. It's great because you don't see the arm and it looks like it's just floating in front. Best of all is the articulating quality of the arm. For NTSC I wan't to keep the plasma pushed back, the distance helping apparent sharpness of the lower quality signal. For movies, I can bring the plasma a bit closer out from the wall, giving a bit more impact. If I'm lying on the couch to the side of the plasma, I can turn the plasma to face me directly. For some reason, that last feature makes every guy drool. I tell them to lie on the couch, I turn the plasma toward them so they are in perfect comfort while having a perfect viewing angle. That's when I see men cast that familiar, forlorn look toward their wife that says: "Honey...sniffle....it's not fair....we need this too."

:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Rich H and others using wall mounts attached to bookcases:

Have you noticed any increase or decrease in "buzzing" from the plasma as a result of the mounting to or within a bookcase? I am concerned about the bookcase acting as a sounding board for buzz unless you get an articulating mount and bring the screen out a foot or so beyond the edge of the bookcase when in use. That might be interesting sometimes--as when you are stretched out on the couch--but most of the time, especially when watching NTSC it would be nicer to keep the screen back within the frame of the bookcase. Any experience with this? Concerned about spending bucks to redo the built-in bookcase only to find that it makes a normally small problem with some plasmas--some buzzing--into a significant problem.

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
Malachy,

Wood *can* actually act as a good sound absorber. My bookcase does not exaggerate the buzz, but actually partially absorbs it. I can hear the buzz more when I pull the plasma away from the bookcase.

Now, the buzz in my plasma is very slight, and is very rarely heard (only when almost no sound is coming from a movie, and only then when the screen is showing a really bright image. The mounted-in-a-bookcase scenario is actually perfect for dealing with any buzzing, because I can stuff sound absorption into the bookcase opening directly behind the plasma, without it being conspicuous. I tried putting some make-shift sound absorption there as a trial, and it made the Panny virtually silent.

But I don't keep anything behind the Panny for now. The buzz is so rarely audible that it hasn't compelled me to buy the sound absorption material to do it up nice. Maybe some day.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Don't forget to leave space around the display unit for convection air cooling. Most manufactures have a requirement.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I have installed the peerles, and the chief double and single scissor.

I do not recommend the chief double.

In general these things look like they belong in a Dentist;s office.

Actually 2 of the chief's went into an orthodontist's home. :)

I prefer a rotating plasma on a cabinet, it is much more elegant and defferent to Gravity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.