AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting 100 hrs on my Infocus X1 , I have come to the conclusion that the only thing I dislike about it is the fact that the bulb replacements are $300 ea. If bulbs were $30 ea or maybe even $100 ea I would leave my projector on almost anytime I am at home , especially since it carries a 5 year warranty.

Do you limit your projector use time because you know replacement bulbs are costly?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I don't limit it, because if the bulb really lasts 3000 hours or more it is costing less than 10 cents (US) an hour.

HOWEVER... if my bulb quits anytime before 1000 hours I'm going to feel kinda burned. The problem is, you never know if you've got a bulb that is going to quit early.. it's a bit of a lottery. I wish it was covered by a warranty longer than 90 days or 500 hours (whichever comes first).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nope, because they're not 'costly'. Even at the old 3,000 hours for $300 it's $0.10 per hour. So if it run it for twelve hours straight like yesterday (DVDs, Xbox, HD football, HD Alias, idle time) I can just throw a buck and a quarter into a jar and my bulb use is paid for. Watch a DVD - splurge and throw a quarter in the jar. I'm still ahead. I can probably just dump my pocket change into the jar each night and still have more than enough to cover the bulb's eventual demise and burial expense.

Will it blow at 1,000 hours? No idea, but I'd wager it won't, especially after the Official Bulb Life Estimate was raised 33% from 3,000 hours to 4,000 hours.

So watch it, enjoy it, loose yourself in the big screen goodness. Just dump out the coins in your pockets each night. ;)

·
Banned
100 Posts
dont waste the bulb life by leaving it on

a home cinema is great, but the novelty wears off if u use it too much

better to enjoy those moments , when u watch a good movie

and dont waste it on TV, Games etc

Buganna.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Not at all. I bought it to use it. DVD, HDTV, XBox.. thats why I have a projector.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
I don't 'waste' time anymore. I used to leave my stuff on, fall asleep with it on but not anymore now that I have the PJ and a DLP TV.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
6 months from now when you are pining for an X2, you'll be wishing the projector ate a bulb so that you can justify the upgrade.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I only watch DVD and HDTV content on mine. I'm not going to torture my beautiful L300u with standard definition TV, or worse, VHS.

That said, now with the 3:30 CBS college games in HD and ESPN's 7:45 game in HD I'm going to be racking up some hours on my PJ!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hell no! Unless Panasonic is lying to us the bulb in my PT-L200U only costs about 5 cents per hour. I bought the PJ to enjoy. I have ~450 hours in 16 weeks. I use the PJ every day for at least two hours.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Having no TV in my place, I have to limit my use when all I'm doing is checking some setting, tweaking a satellite signal, etc. I watch the same amount of content as before, but I have to remember not to turn on the PJ, just to check the weather for 2 minutes in the morning, and turn it off again, as this is not good for the bulb (or so I've been lead to believe).

·
Registered
695 Posts
Three months and over 400 hours on my X1. I Use it for everything. At 10 cents or less per hour, why worry about it? Especially since I will probably upgrade way before the bulb wears out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I only have a DVD player hooked up to my projector. Not on purpose, it's just that particular room is never used for regular TV in my house. It was the same when I had the RPTV in there. And I would never not watch a DVD because I'm trying to save my bulb. Since I also subscribe to netflix, it 'costs' me more to not watch DVDs than to use the bulb. Kinda.

Funny, I did have a bad dream last night that my X1 bulb broke. I felt a little bad about it all morning until I remembered it was a dream while driving to work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.