AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first lamp of my HS10 ran out after only 4 months of usage with the common can't-start-up problem. I used to leave my projector on stand by even though the manual suggests completely power-off.

With my second lamp, I follow the power off procedure in the manual. So far so good. Just want to know how other HS10 owners deal with this issue.

Thanks.

madawu

·
Registered
761 Posts
OK,... I don't know how to "power off". I just hit the power button on the remote. Nearing 600 hours use since November last year that seems to work for me. But seriously how short of unplugging the thing do you get it turned right off??? Don't tell me I will have to read that stupid manual... :D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I can't personally see how keeping it on standby could affect the lamp. I keep mine in standby mode all the time when not in use, as I've done to all my projectors in the past. Going on for 140hrs and running fine... touch wood.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a couple of lamp failures at 30 odd hours, after leaving on standby for a few days(was sitting on top of an amp which did'nt help). Now power it off(unplug at the socket) and leave the amp off when not in use and not had a single reoccurance thereafter.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had 2 power-up failures and a shutdown, once because I accidently unplugged it while it was running, and the other time, it shutdown after about 3 or 4 hours and failed to power up once. I think that was my fault because I had it setup temporarily at my friends house and it didn't have good ventilation.

I'm at 270 hours and that's the ONLY problems I've had. I haven't noticed any bulb dimming, of course that's hard to judge. I NEVER unplug the projector. I hit power twice on the remote and let the fan run, then the standby light comes on.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Mine is always powered off. In Australia our law states that every mains wall socket must be seperately switched, so its a simple matter of flicking the switch after viewing (cable remains plugged in to socket.)

I've only had 1 single failure to power up in around 300 hours.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I always just use the remote to turn off (stand-by) and have had zero problems. I just passed the 1000 hour mark....

·
Registered
557 Posts
It's standby for me also.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ditto... standby over here.

Note... shoulda made this question a Poll thread...

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I think the reason Sony recommends keeping the HS10 unplugged is in the possible case of lightning strike or some other massive electronics frying surge. I can't imagine any other operational reasons to leave it unplugged.

JJ - 1000 hours? You da man! But really - you live in San Diego (where I was born and raised). Get out there and enjoy some of that great weather. Why else do you think you're paying $850,000 for a $150,000 house?

I've got nearly 800 hours on mine, but I've been through a winter in the midwest. ;)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Standby since day 1. Over 300 hours and zero problems. :cool:

·
Registered
857 Posts
wow HTCRAZY, now I see why you chose HTCrazy as your nick ... hehe 730 hours wow . Im still at 114 or so, and yet I have so much tweaking to do ...

Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
Just standby for me too. Going strong at 730 hours. Probably most of those hours were logged while I was sleeping. :eek:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
I think the reason Sony recommends keeping the HS10 unplugged is in the possible case of lightning strike or some other massive electronics frying surge. I can't imagine any other operational reasons to leave it unplugged.

JJ - 1000 hours? You da man! But really - you live in San Diego (where I was born and raised). Get out there and enjoy some of that great weather. Why else do you think you're paying $850,000 for a $150,000 house?

I've got nearly 800 hours on mine, but I've been through a winter in the midwest. ;)
Yes HT its kinda embaressing how many hours I have put on my pj in such a short time :). To be fair its not all me--my wife, daughter and niece all use it too. Its our primary display so its on a lot (obviously :)) and I tend to leave it on as background noise like I did with the big screen tv (and occasionally fall asleep with it on *cough*). I just got some new thin component cables and HDTV seems a bit cleaner looking than using the sony combo cable. I just got home and also see my DVI cable came today so I can hook up my pc tomorrow and check out the dvd quality with 1:1 mapping and TheaterTek. I also have the Fly Video 2000 capture card so I can finally put that in and see if cable looks better using the capture card w/Dscaler or using cable box which supposedly upscales the output to 1080i (at least thats what the pj reports the signal is--I have doubts). Also my new glass cc40r filter came in the other day so I can calibrate my pj again. Man I am a geek :)!

But have no worries--my job allows me to have three days off a week which I get to spend with my five year old daughter. We go to the park, have Sea World passes, go to the beach, golfing and etc, so I am getting outside a bit ;).

BTW, anyone know a good place to buy replacement bulbs?....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.