AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to DD or DTS, I never add any additional processing as I want to hear the movie how it was originally mixed. I have to assume that adding any sort of PLIIX or similar processing will artificially enhance the sound. That isn't to say it won't sound better to some people, but it won't be what was originally intended. To me changing the audio to make it more pleasing to me is like trying to change the plotline more to my liking.

I thought part of the appeal with DD or DTS was 5.1 channels of discreet audio that didn't have to be processed? Is something like PLIIX a genuine enhancement or just a personal preference thing?

Greg

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Post processing... It has been around since THX has. You have all this software, you may as well get some use out of it.

I see no issues with using the software you have available how you see fit. This is the first questions of this nature I have ever encounterd about post processing.

I mean EX is post processing to, and they even include a flag for it so processors can recognize it and flip on EX over 5.1....

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I personally find the term decoder to be misleading.

Dolby Digital is a decoder...I guess; more to the point its an absolutely required piece of decompression software.

In addition, you still have some matrixed soundtracks such as EX. You can apparently use either the EX decoder or the Dolby Digital IIx decoder to process the signal. These channels exist in an EX source so the decoder is not adding information.

If you want 7.1 channel sound from a 5.1 source, you will need to use a 7.1 decoder such as EX or Dolby Pro Logic IIx. This IS creating channels that did not exist in the original mix. I personally don't mind this, and keep my IIx decoder on at all times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.