AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which projector was it ?, which TV did it replace ?

What were your impressions ? feeling ?, did you ever came back to watch movies (DVD) through the TV again ?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
From a Sony 25" Profeel, to an older Sharp LCD.

The TV still produces the best image I have seen from most display devices of any type. However, I can NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, go back to sub 100" TV, EVER!!!

The difference, is almost to ridiculous to say. 65"...mwahahahah...that is SMALL! I can fit four of those into my screen.

In the end, image quality is important, but size is size, and nothing is more striking than a 120" TV.

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have to agree. I went from a 35" direct view to a Zenith 7" CRT on 80x60 screen about 7 years ago, and the reason I havent upgraded yet is because it still looks so good after all these years.

Soon though, very soon.......

I cannot conceive of NOT having a home theater. Even with with all of the hassles that are necessary, ie. complete light control, it never ceases to give me joy...I watch all my TV on it.

Just think of the setup I would have had if I had spent the $30,000+ I wasted on a pool I never use toward a home theater instead.

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with whatever higher rez DLP gets its act together (finally)with Panamorph or B stock/etc 9" CRT

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Well, my move was much more recent. March of this year. I have a 60" Hitachi UltraVision that I have built into a false wall...this I continue to use for VHS movies and daily TV viewing. The newest addition to the AV family is a Sony VPL-VW10HT matched with a 159" High Contrast Da-Mat Da-Lite HDTV screen. I love it and so does my family!

------------------

Darren from Kansas City

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I had a 50" 4:3 Toshiba RPTV and about 4 years ago bought a used Electrohome FPTV, shown on a 120" screen.

The difference between the RPTV which looked quite good with laserdisc movies, to the FPTV (then with DVDs) and a line doubler was quite dramatic.

Then I added a 50" LCD RPTV, and upgraded my FPTV to a Sony with 9" CRTs, and then got a JVC G1000, ISCO lens and a larger 180" screen, and then upgraded to a G15 and got a perforated Grayhawk screen.

I keep saying to myself, It's a hobby, it's a hobby... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

-Dean.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Bet most of you won't remember this TV.

The year was 1981. I bought a brand new Muntz front projection TV. It was a 13" Sony inside a beautiful oak roll top cabinet. The Sony was positioned on it's back and had a lens on top of the tube. The resulting image was bounced off of a mirror and onto a 52" curved silver screen. The resulting picture was actually pretty good, but incredibly dark.

I was hooked from then on and decided that each projector had to be bigger and brighter than that.

My next model was a used Kloss Novabeam 2 piece unit with a 72" screen. It was awfully fuzzy.

My third projector was a Zenith three gun front projector which had a beautiful picture but the tubes only lasted 3 years.

After that I bought a used Sony 1020 front projector which had a nice picture but was not very bright and again the tubes did not last long.

For all the definite advantages of CRT, I am extremely happy with the switch to DLP. I love the sharpness of the picture, the brightness, and the lack of upkeep to keep the image looking good.

Robert

------------------

Robert Clark

See our home theater (with very poor quality pics!)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...874&a=12744078

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I began this adventure with a Mits 46805, then a Mits 65905 (which I still have), and now I've upgraded to the NEC LT150 projecting a 115" image onto a DIY screen. When I first got the 65" Mits RPTV, I thought it looked incredible, but little did I know what I was in for when I hooked up the first projector. It has been an experience that I will never forget. THIS is finally what I have been after! Of course, I'm still evaluating lots of PJs, but as Dean said, "It's a hobby, it's a hobby". http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Kevin

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
yes, i still remember it quite well, as TV's always played a major part in my life, since i was a kid and my father purchased an 18", i believe, B/W TV back in the late 50's or early 60's.

around 1978 i bought a SONY 20" color TV,just to have it replaced the same year or early the following year for a SONY KP-7220 front-projector with a 72" screen that cost me back then $2.200....! talk about good memory,huh?

that projector lasted me untill december of 1990, when i sold it to purchase something more up-to-date, and the SONY was still working fine by then, albeit without an S-video input, and a somewhat dim picture...i don't think that i will ever forget the first time i saw "STAR WARS" at home on my 72" screen,when the movie was firt released on VHS non-surround sound...!!! talk about good ol' days of home video...!!!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yes, last night! From a 50" Hitachi RPTV to a Boxlight 38T on a 100" screen. There's no going back!

Dan

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm still on my first projection setup. It's a Sharp QA-1650 LCD TFT panel on top of a commercial grade 4000 lumen overhead projector. It's only 640x480, so there is a big screen door effect. I just use s-video in it and the image quality is better than you would expect. Clean and clear from DVD images, now 100' diagonal. As low def as it is, I still enjoy it. I will upgrade soon, just waiting for a killer deal. This was only a few hundered.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I live to modify and improve electronics. Especially audio. Come up with original designes, etc.

I had a 32 inch RCA TV, I had picked from a lot. I took it apart and modified that. Had it for two years, and I thought I had it good. I did not want video. Music first, as it should be. Something that reaches the human side a little more clearly.. music. Television was delegated to being something along the lines of playing with yourself in public. Childhood problems and mental disorder, is the feeling I got everytime I turned it on. (I still do, I refuse to watch TV. Movies? that's a different thing)

I had never really touched video before, but I had (have) VAST experience with audio.

So, I ran into a friend, at my work place. For about the fifth time we spoke on the same subject. He had been bugging me for nearly a year on this. "come on over and see me about those projectors", he said. "If you don't take a look at them, they're going in the garbage, as the wife says they have to go, when we move".

So, I finally go to his place, but stop in at the bank machine, and get $400 out. You never know, I thought. I had thought all along, that they were ex-goverment 40" mitsubishi (cable input only)40" RPTV's that had sat in a government lobby for 10 years with the same thing displayed on them. I had visions of severe crap when I finally got to see them. Zero expectations.

I get there, and he has, sitting on it's side, beside his couch, where it has bee sitting on a stack of papers.. for almost a year!, a Electrohome ECP 3000 (which I had never heard of!) in MINT shape. I took a flashlight with me, in case it WAS a front projector, and checked the tubes for burns. Zero burn. I looked on the chassis and found fans. I looked for dirt in the fans, as to get an indication of useage. Zero dirt in the fans. Not the SLIGHTEST sign of dust. Very low hour count.

I began to get all shakey.. I knew it was worth quite a bit..(at the time, ECP 3000's still sold for at least $2k, easy), and I am a poor person. So, I told him, "you start". he said, "no, you start". this went back and forth, about 4 times, until, just as an insult..I blurted out "Fifty Bucks!". He says, "for $100, you can have them both!. I look around and. there is another. same shape.

I hurriedly give him the cash.. and we wrestle them into a Honda CRX (tight fit).

I get them home..and find a cable..stole it off of my brother's 21" RGBHV monitor, and they WORK FINE! I had the unt completrely stripped. and was inspecting it very, very closely..within a month or so.

I grinned like an idot for about 4-5 months.

Thus, my new, totally obsessive, EXTRA 'hobby' begins, on it's long....downward....spiral.

So now, everything is maxed out. Custom designed HTPC, Custom interface, Custom re-engineered Marquee 8000, Custom Screen designs, and on, and on. And it shows NO signs of stopping, or slowing down. It's only gonna get worse.

You see, before this, I would look at a video display, realize it wasn't film, and blink at it, and move on. Not film? Don't want it, not good enough.

Now, I am nearly there. I needed my own machines to work on.. and who is going to give someone they don't know, a brand new $30k PJ to strip apart? That's what I needed to get my hands on. Now I have them...and can bend them to my will.

Obsessive about quality? And perfection, and the cutting edge? About 6-9 months ago.. I had 19 different screen designs, and 14 CRT projectors in the house! What do you think?

Damn the torpedoes......

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
In 1992, I bought the Sharpvision XV-120zu. It was awesome.

Back then, you sacrificed image quality for the spectacle of the screen size. After a few years, the pixels became quite

bothersome, but was remedied somewhat by an IMX lens. I

convinced myself (and my wife) that this would hold us for a few more years. It was a definite improvement. I am glad I held off upgrading. Last week I received the LT150. Now I have "that" image quality, along with "the" spectacle of home theater. Now...will this projector last me another 9 years?!!

------------------

Len

·
Registered
505 Posts
About a year ago I decided to give the new LP 335 from work a try at home on a large white wall driven by a make shift ~HTPC. I was accustomed to a 32" Sony TV, and thus was very impressed with this setup. After that night I knew I "had to have it." I looked around for a while and bought a used LT100. Since I have had it Thumperized and have downloaded my own Gamma tables, and have Dish HDTV.

I still use the small TV for news, etc., but would never use for any quality viewing.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MCaugusto:
yes, i still remember it quite well, as TV's always played a major part in my life, since i was a kid and my father purchased an 18", i believe, B/W TV back in the late 50's or early 60's.

around 1978 i bought a SONY 20" color TV,just to have it replaced the same year or early the following year for a SONY KP-7220 front-projector with a 72" screen that cost me back then $2.200....! talk about good memory,huh?
Is that the one that looked like a smoked glass covered coffee table?

Robert

------------------

Robert Clark

See our home theater (with very poor quality pics!)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...874&a=12744078

·
Registered
380 Posts
My first venture into component TV was the Sony Profeel. I think it was a product ahead of it't time. My wife and I watched it until it finally wore out and caught on fire and couldn't be repaired. She doesn't really understand my obsessiion with quality, but she does enjoy watching TV on on the devices which I bring home. Later I converted a large room in the basement to a home theatre in 1984. I used a Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol matt white 4x3 100" diagonal screen, an Aquastar IIIC Data Grade front projector, Pioneer Laserdisc player, and a Fosgate surround sound processor with my Hafler 500 watt stereo amplifier kits (3 of them)and a JBL 18" subwoofer. Nobody in town had heard of a surround sound processor, and I had to order it directly from Fosgate. It was fabulous way back then. Then the years went by and the expenses for sending the children to college etc. happened and the home theatre died.

Now the home theatre is being reborn gradually. I've acquired a couple of nice Sony monitors to provide nice pictures but not HDTV quality. One is the WEGA 200 XBR TV. Very nice TV, but not capable of much resolution other than a DVD. Finally we acquired a new Panasonic HDTV receiver for Directv HDTV and a Princeton Graphics AF3.0HD 32" 16x9 HDTV monitor. The picture is fabulous for casual watching of movies on HDTV and DVD's with the IScan plus progressive scan line doubler and the Theta DaVid DVD player.

Finally I've built a 116" wide DIY 16x9 aspect grey screen and acquired a JVC G-15 D-ILA projector. The D-ILA is fabulous, and the images are stunning. I have not been disappointed. This hobby is wonderful and fascinating. The only negative point is that my wife doesn't appreciate HDTV. She says it's just TV. "I don't get it". Thank goodness she tolerates it. She does apprecitate the McIntosh whole house music system that I installed throughout our 80 year old house. She listens to it all the time and complains if it goes out for any reason.

What a wonderful hobby!

Next I hope to get a good scaler for DVDs if I can figure out which one is the best at a good price. Running McIntosh components from a single rack to control 2 movie watching areass is getting expensive but I knew that. I ussed to do without lunch money in school to buy camera equipment. How can a hobby be so much fun and so much pain at the same time?

Larry

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I went from a 45" Zenith RPTV to a surplus AmPro 7" CRT projector. Not long after that I got caught up in the frenzy over the Sony W400q over at the bigpicturedvd forum and bought a new one. I really did like that thing and used it for about 8 months. It was no turning back after that.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MCaugusto:
...SONY KP-7220 front-projector with a 72" screen that cost me back then $2.200....!
--Me too. My first TV was a KP-7225 72" projector ($2,500 in 1982) - at the same time, I picked up Star Wars & an LD player. Amazing!

--Replaced in 1996 with a Runco 760A (mistake). Soon to be replaced by ???

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in Colombia, SouthAmerica and back in 1996 I bought a Toshiba RPTV 48" in Miami and shipped it to my Country. S&H plus taxes almost killed me.

Early this year my old Toshiba was showing signs of extreme fatigue ( probably the tropic or the TV signals in spanish and mono, who knows?), so I started visiting this forum, without the guts to post or even to register.

So I began to fall in love with projectors and started dreaming, but the prices were out of my reach, specially when the Colombian peso has devaluated more than 100% since I bought my Toshiba back in 96.

Until the "Dellonius" deal got my attention thanks to you forum's peopleand that was it !!. A handfull of coincidences started : the night of July 22 when I read the Dellonius deal my wife was in the USA getting her MBA at Tulane's University, so I called her and told her: "Elena I know exactly what I'm going to give you as a present for your MBA".

And today I'm the proud owner of a brand new lt150, got a Microphone table base, inverted it, did some drilling and the lt150 is up in my HT room, the king of heavens.

Having to learn 99,99% about projectors, I'm more than hooked!!.

Santiago

From Colombia, South America

P.S.: Don try this at home (Giving a wife a projector as a present, trust me!!)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I bought a used Barcographics 801 CRT off the web, it replaced a 53" XBR sony RP set. I'll never forget tearing into the packaging, and then finding I didn't have any component cables to run it... local stores didn't have any ARGH!!

Finally figured out how to run Svid to get it to work. Had it sitting on top of my guest bedroom bed and fired it up onto the wall. Even though the image was upside down (took me awhile to figure how to fix that problem http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ), it was love at first sight.

I can't tell you how many people I've watched movies with at my house (and I've lived in 3 since I started FP HT) that just have their jaw drop when they see it. I don't have the best equipment, but there is just NO comparison with FP to any other standard TV.

So that's how I lost my FP virginity http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.