AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question:

I was wondering if you use your AVR for all your TV viewing?

I read that some people use their regular TV Speaker when watching the news etc.

Are there potential problems using your AVR all the time or is it just a preference thing?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I leave my AVR for months at time and use it for all audio. Never had a problem.

Heat is supposedly not good for electronics, but they should ( hopefully) be designed to handle many years of it. Powering them on and off creates current surges which are hopefully not a problem either.

My feeling is that it does not matter much based on my experience.

I think turning on and off computers is worse than leaving them on, also based on experience, but that's because I think hard drives don't love being powered on and off ( Take this with a grain of salt, and they are probably better than they were 10 years ago.) But AVRs are solid state.

Modern AVRs last longer than receivers, in my opinion, because their input selector and volume control are now solid state. So as long as the AVRs heat is not killing them, expect them to last for 5 to 10 years.

The only unknown, IMO, is that some modern AVRs are running REALLY hot. Will they start failing in 3 or 4 years? Some people seem to think so, and are adding fans. Paranoid or not? You be the judge
I will note that my RX-V2700 ran mostly trouble free and was on almost 24/7 for over two years. And it was the hottest receiver I ever owned.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I use my AV receivers with my TVs ALL the time. When the TV is on, so is the receiver. Everything is connected (aud/vid) to the receiver

·
Registered
20,694 Posts
Yes, I use my pre/pro for everything I watch. Regardless if it's the evening news, Craig Ferguson, sports, or a movie. It's all coming out in 7.1.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
yes. what's the point of having it if you don't use it? there's nothing that doesn't sound better through the avr than through the tv speakers...

plus the display looks better without speakers on it...

i do turn mine off when not in use though... it's warm enough in here...

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Yup, ALL the time. My TV speakers are set to OFF

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
When watching OTA and HD DVD/SDVD (95%) I use the receiver...When watching SD Cable (5%) the TV speakers...But my TV has an excellent sound system so it sounds very good...But since I myself rarely watch SD cable those that do (the rest of the family) have no qualms...I have the Harmony 550 programmed right so that makes things VERY easy...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yes, all the audio goes through receiver and out the main speakers when I watch TV.

It does use more energy than listening with the TV speakers. And the TV speakers may be better for late-night watching without bothering other family members (or neighbors).

But I like simplicity. I press one button on the Logitech/Harmony remote to turn all the appropriate components on for TV watching and select the right input, etc. One button and I am good to go.

I suppose it might be possible to make another button do everything to watch TV using the TV speakers.

But then I'd have two buttons, and I'd have to decide which way I wanted to watch TV each time. It would also require extra cables. And the programming might get complicated. F#@% that!

-Max

·
Registered
324 Posts
Like everyone else here, I have always used my AVR's when I watch TV. I don't have it hooked up to work any other way.

I use a programable remote that handles macros to be able to turn on both units with a single button, and everything is switched through the AVR.

I don't know why you would run it any other way...

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
The AVR is always on. Even before I upgraded, I had receivers on at all times, now with a modern AVR, new center and surrounds, even with a stereo signal, the AVR matrixes the signal to all speakers, so why not use it to its fullest?

The thing that does make it all possible, with a non-technical family is the Logitech Harmony remote controlling all of the components. I've standardized on it for our four areas, so anyone can go to any of the areas and use the exact same buttons to produce the same effect even with very different components.

Great speakers, AVR's and media sources (FIOS, HD DVD, BD, iPods, etc.) are not useful to everyone if they are not just one or two clicks away; the programmable remotes give you that, so that when I get a component I'm excited about, everyone benefits, not just me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts