AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I describe my situation, I want everyone to be aware that I am a cable noob and know absolutely nothing about the technicalities behind cable.

I'm having problems with my cable connection. Basically, what I want to do is split the connection three times (one for TV, one for Analog TV on a ATI 650 PCI tuner, and one for digital on an ATI 650 PCI). The problem is, once I install my splitter (a dynex DX-AV101) I no longer get the ClearQAM channels and my signal is heavily degraded.

If I plug in the original cable in to my ATI 650 PCI tuner then it looks fine and the signal comes in ok, same for analog (it can't reach over to my TV, which is part of the problem).

So besides the Dynex splitter, here is what I'm using:

25 foot coax (Philips) bought from Wal-Mart (non-gold plated)

12 foot coax bought from MonoPrice (gold plated)

12 foot coax (Philips) bought from Wal-Mart (non-gold plated)

The original cable coming into my room is probably about 12 feet.

Would adding a signal booster help me keep my ClearQAM channels and the semi-full analog signal? If so, if I bought one from Radioshack (doesn't have to be from here, just an example), could I plug that in and then use my splitter to split the signal or would that negate the purpose of the signal booster?

Oh and before anyone says "ask your cable company for one". They won't give me one because I'm getting my signal (just not powerful enough to split).

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You should be able to split the incoming signal 3 ways if it is the only splitter in your home.

Will you be using a cable modem now or in the future?

Do you use Video on demand or any such service?

I ask because if you do purchase an amp make sure it has a gain or a minimum loss in the reverse direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention, this isn't a "home" per se, more of a "dorm" (I'm a college student). Sorry about that.

Anyways, I won't be getting a cable modem here now or ever.

I don't like video on demand or any of these types of services.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question.

If I get an amp, do I have to get an F Terminator if I don't use all the ports (regarding signal leaking)?

I do have some plastic caps that came with my current splitter, could I use one of these instead?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I would just purchase a single port amp and install it before the split.

If you do purchase a multiport amp yes get the terminations and install them the plastic caps wont help.

A good amp is the Motorola Signal booster. (low noise figure)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I would update this thread with results.

An amplifier works. I did purchase an F Terminator for one of the ports and bought a multi-port amp (I didn't want to install the splitter again, too many cables going everywhere).

I purchased this one , except I bought it used from one of the sellers for $20.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Good choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts