Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DLNA has some SERIOUS potential. But, do you think so?

If you don't know what DLNA is..

Streaming Internet Television such as Hulu, South Park Studios, CBS, ABC (Hulu), Food Network, NetFlix, Amazon (VOD), Podcasts, SpikeTV, AdultSwim. Even to extenders or XBOX 360's.

This is in it's infant stages, but I see it being a hell of a lot more affordable than a Media Center.

Considering a few things already come equipped with DLNA such as DirecTV boxes, or the PS3 or XBOX 360 (or extender through vmcplayit), it seems not that far away that people can get streaming itv.

Microsoft knows it lost it's battle with Media center, and I feel it is because of this MUCH more affordable and cost-effective solution.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You need to add the option "Sort-of".

It's obvious that web-based video is here to stay and will likely have some place in the living room for some people for the indefinite future. However, I don't believe that it is likely to be the only (or even dominant) method for enjoying media any time soon.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/16923634

I would appreciate it if you told me why..

Not trying to be a dick, but that explanation was inconclusive.

Well, many people have been downloading TV, Music, Movies, etc for a while. I think DLNA could have decent success if made affordable with acceptable quality. Lots of opportunity for innovators to make some really neat technology.

Content providers still make the rules. Will they co-operate enough to make this a success? Will the "last mile" network providers make enough of an investment for reliable service with millions of users? Many open questions.

/R

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
There really needs to be a good interoperability standard that consumer electronics and software adheres to.

Look at Apple products. As much as I dislike them, everything works well together as long as you stay in the little bubble of Apple products. Trying to do something other than what Apple says on the other hand is a nightmare.

It would be nice if my Yamaha receiver could be plugged into the LAN and using the display on the receiver I could browse music and video libraries on my computer in another room. It would be nice if on my computer I could select which receiver or player I wanted to send a certain playlist to.

There are too many technologies that don't work together which makes interoperability impossible. DLNA hopefully aims to change this. With a bit of luck it won't simply be yet another "standard" that is never widely accepted.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/16923634

I would appreciate it if you told me why..

Not trying to be a dick, but that explanation was inconclusive.

Sorry, I thought it was pretty obvious. Web-based content is simply too complicated for some people and too restrictive for others.

Consider that nearly a third of American households don't even have broadband. Of the ones that do, a significant percentage don't have fast enough broadband to make web-based TV a viable option. Of the ones that have fast enough broadband, some are too computer-illiterate / set in their ways / lazy to switch to some new-fangled content delivery system. Of those that remain, some just prefer to get digital content "the old fashioned way", without having to deal with commercials, DRM or other restrictions.

It is possible that content providers could make web-based video attractive enough to marginalize broadcast / cable / satellite / DVDs, but they won't. Standards organization or not, getting big media companies to agree on anything is like herding cats. They all want absolute control over every aspect of the consumer's experience, and they'll never agree on how best to lock it down. What's worse, anything they do decide on is going to be so locked down as to be undesirable to many people.

Even if access to bandwidth improves and technophobes die off, big media will never change. That alone will mean that no useful, universal standards will dominate the market in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/16923784

That alone will mean that no useful, universal standards will dominate the market in the foreseeable future.

Like Blu-ray...

I was hoping for something I could pitch my customers at the end of the road, but I feel you are exactly right. CableCard, OSFR, no sharing, f**k you if you wanna share media, you're screwed.

And we keep electing these people..................................

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
The future? as in render HTPCs obsolete and useless? NOT A CHANCE.

As long as there a ppl who like to "own" their stuff, able to play whenever, no worry about fees... download to portable players etc, pipe stuff to different parts of the house.

If u are the type of person who rather no deal with all the technology and don't mind paying for the service/contents when u need it, then I guess this is good for u.

I NEVER bought into vendors' provided TIVO. I don't wanna pay an on-going fee. I don't feel like constrained by the punny HD they give you. I don't need them to tell/suggest to me what to watch. I can make my recording decisions just fine thank you. So I had a hauppauge PVR since day one. One-time expense, no fees, MY WAY.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I was hoping for, was not what I got..

No solution in this economy for people trying to get "it" with limited budgets.

"IT" includes many of the features that we have been enjoying for years.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Right now Hulu and the like are in their infancy, so they only make you watch a couple of commercials during a show. But once they really take off it will be just like watching commercial Tv. 5 min of the show and 6 min of commercials. Once they do that, whats the point of watching it?

Besides, I would rather just download my favorite episodes from torrents and watch them in high quality with NO commercials.

I spend 4 or 5 hours a day on my computer vs 30 min of watching TV. I just can not stand what TV has to offer. All those commercials drive me NUTS!

·
Registered
993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/16923593

If you don't know what DLNA is..

Streaming Internet Television such as Hulu, South Park Studios, CBS, ABC (Hulu), Food Network, NetFlix, Amazon (VOD), Podcasts, SpikeTV, AdultSwim. Even to extenders or XBOX 360's.

I think there is a misunderstanding what DLNA actually is. Per se it has nothing to do with web-based TV services. Rather, it is an industry consortium that develops standards for networked media devices for the digital home. Essentially they give recommendations what kind of protocols and media formats should be used by such devices to achive better interoperability. The centerpiece is the well-known UPnP protocol, which is supported by most companies in this space (with the notable exception of Apple, who prefer their own "Bonjour" system).
Quote:
This is in it's infant stages, but I see it being a hell of a lot more affordable than a Media Center.

Um, there are all kinds of DLNA certified devices in all price classes that support DLNA, including TVs, media servers, DVRs, and even mobile phones. PCs can be DLNA certified as well. All it says is that these devices follow the proposed standards.
Quote:
Microsoft knows it lost it's battle with Media center, and I feel it is because of this MUCH more affordable and cost-effective solution.

Microsoft is an avid supporter of DLNA. Windows 7 is compatible with DLNA devices.

Regarding the poll question: DLNA enjoys broad industry support, so it is quite certain that it will eventually "make the cut" in that regard. Some the of the specifications are still quite immature though.

·
Registered
683 Posts
There is a small footprint Asus EEE Box PC attached to the standard VESA mount behind for those who dont like to see a PC. And it costs like about $350 with the OS. Why would I bother with limited widgets when I can do whatever I want. Just use a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard and you're set.

And yes, its wireless too.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
the big problem right now is who owns what and who can distribute it so we can all get it.

everything used to be available on cable tv, now its on the net and its all scattered all over and most of it not easily accessed through a 10ft interface.

once that gets worked out it will gain serious traction.

most people like to watch tv on a tv.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts