AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who followed my initial unhappiness with my Hitachi 42HDT20, I'm having a couple of issues with the TV, and I don't know if I should expect to have them, or if I should call Hitachi about it.

#1. The analog picture quality is bad. DirecTV looks awful compared to my 46" WRPTV Mits (HD) from 1999-2000. I don't know if this is normal, or if maybe there is a problem with the set. I'm probably just oversensitive.

#2. DVD Picture quality is so-so. Diana Krall was flat disappointing, and was always eye candy on the Mitsubishi. I don't know what to make of this. I notice serious dithering in a lot of scenes, like on the Gladiator disc, there is a scene with smoke, and I notice dithering in the smoke. I also see noticeable dithering on skinstones. I sit about 8-10 feet away btw.

#3. After watching a disc like Gladiator, the black bars remain "burnt" into the screen. They go away after about 20 minutes of full screen viewing, but it's disturbing to see black bars burnt into a $7,000 TV. Contrast is calibrated via AVIA, also.

#4. The TV makes a considerable hum, I understand this to be standard among plasma's... just didn't know if it should be clearly audible from viewing distance.

All in all, I'm just not very satisfied with this TV. I really want to be, because it looks fantastic on 1080i material, but it just doesn't do it for me on any other source. It also looks really cool in the room.

Is there a chance that there is a problem with the TV, or did I just not buy a very nice TV? Maybe I'm expecting too much from a non-CRT device??

·
Registered
698 Posts
The black bars are not burn in its ghosting and its normal with all plasmas.I can't really comment on the rest.Is this an alis plasma?Dvd and directv look incredible on my panny.It can't hurt to call in a claim. bm

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kidd Digital

#3. After watching a disc like Gladiator, the black bars remain "burnt" into the screen. They go away after about 20 minutes of full screen viewing, but it's disturbing to see black bars burnt into a $7,000 TV. also.
Despite the "Contrast is calibrated via AVIA" you may be operating at too high a contrast level. I would try a lower level and see what happens.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It sounds like way too much dithering and way too long ghosting for me. I would make a note of the time frames on Gladiator where these artifacts occur and take your DVD back to the store where you bought it and ask them to pop it in. If you get the same dithering as you got at home, then it is probably the plasma brand. If it is OK, then it's either your particular PDP or your setup. Let us know how it works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.