AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new bulb (still in sticker shock) in order to a) see if it makes the flicker go away, and b) most importantly to have a spare since I've put 500 hours on the original one.

Doing this silly poll to see if people predict it will fix the flicker, or not.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I vote no although I hope new bulb will fix your problem. Most flickering is due to power fluctuations and not a bad bulb. May be it's the bulb ballast and new bulb will help. My bet is incompatibility of Jap PJ with US electricity.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huey, they flicker in Japan too. There have been some reports from the Mike brothers and others that new bulbs make the flicker go away, and a tease from Dan Miller hinting it might be the bulb. But you're probably right. :)

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
Actually Huey, a few people have posted reports of using the PJ with all manner of power massagers including the Monster unit that regulates power at 120v. They report that the flicker is still there. I'm hoping it's the bulbs.

TM

·
Registered
916 Posts
Tony,

I'm with you on this. I've read threads where owners are using different line conditioners and are still experiencing the flicker. If you read between the lines on Dan Miller's post, it has to be the bulbs. Thankfully (knocking on wood now) I haven't seen a flicker yet. If/When it does start to happen, I'm hoping a simple bulb change will take care of the problem (stopped knocking on wood, now crossing fingers). :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just had an interesting conversation with a Marantz US tech support guy. He told me that they'd identified two causes of the flicker: bad bulbs (problems during manufacturing) and bad bulb power supplies. He said (or certainly implied) that Marantz is currently repairing the power supplies in the latter case. Interesting. Dan?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I obviously, had a defective bulb - it blew up! It also was quite dim in comparsion to the new bulb. My pj does not even flicker when warming up now, unlike what it used to do. It justs gradually comes on and is rock solid. I would not recommend anyone get a bulb due to the $$$$$ unless you have some of the symptoms my pj exhibited but then again, if your pj is doing what mine was your bulb will probably blow anytime, anyway ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
My new Marantz doesn't flicker, or I'm not observent enough to see the flicker. I wonder if I'm lucky, or my PJ is new enough to have already had this issue addressed by Marantz.

btw... how much did you pay for your bulb?

gracias.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I paid $475+shipping for my bulb from A-1 Illuminations. It was $485 but some very polite negotiating got it down a little. :) I also got a quote from Marantz directly, and from one other company, for $500.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
Anon,

The flicker on my pj is source independent so it must have to do with some part of the PJ. It's not an upstream component either. I connected my video switcher to another display and the picture looks fine. On my unit at least (and I recall others saying it was source independent) it seems to point to the bulb or power supply as mentioned.

TM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.