AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the Tivo's status bar at the bottom. It would be simple for a replay tv engineer to do something like that, but I wonder if they have the Not Invented Here mentality, and that's what stopping them?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Check for previous posts by ReplayRichard regarding Alcatraz. He majorly hinted about status bars not being out of the question.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Hey, hey hey......

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Probably ended his life (along the lines of Full Metal Jacket)... I don't think RTV has a NIH attitude; I think they are just busy keeping up with their existing features. Hopefully, they will continue to push the edge once they have a stable software base. RTV still has features that Tivo doesn't--you still cannot stream in real-time with Tivo.

Cheers

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't Status Bars pre-date TiVo? I can't see why whether or not TiVo uses them would matter to a RTV engineer.

-Robbie

·
Registered
582 Posts
One of the reasons TiVo has status bars is that they only have a 30 minute pause buffer. With our effectively unlimited pause time ... what's the purpose?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jazzsax
I really like the Tivo's status bar at the bottom. It would be simple for a replay tv engineer to do something like that, but I wonder if they have the Not Invented Here mentality, and that's what stopping them?
I hope it's because they realize that status bars are stupid. On Replay you press display and you get the real time remaining. Not some horribly semi accurate graphical representation.

I hate status bars!!!

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
I thought most of the posts here were just *joking* about status bars!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I thought it was the status bars that were the joke.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I for one would like to be able to watch a recorded show and tell quickly how far along the show was. Probably when I hit Display or something. Obviously I don't want it appearing all the time. I don't understand how this could be a stupid request. Since I don't own a Tivo, I don't know exactly how their's works, but that's what I want anyway.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Status bar? No way!

Semi-transparent Progress Indicator? Now that could work. It could use one color for road that's been traveled on current trip, another color for overpasses (commercials), another color to indicate road that hasn't been traveled yet (maybe one shade for never and another for been-there-done-that), and perhaps a couple pointers to show current and previous position (for skips). This transparent "roadmap" could fade in and out of the full length of the bottom of the screen whenever an appropriate button is pressed, i.e. FF, PLAY, REW, CA, QS, INSTANT REPLAY, DISPLAY, etc. If it takes too much processor time, make its appearance user selectable, but no matter what, it must be accurate.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jazzsax
Well I for one would like to be able to watch a recorded show and tell quickly how far along the show was. Probably when I hit Display or something. Obviously I don't want it appearing all the time. I don't understand how this could be a stupid request. Since I don't own a Tivo, I don't know exactly how their's works, but that's what I want anyway.
Hit Display while watching a recorded show. You see how far along you are in the show in hours, minutes, and seconds. Seems pretty good to me. What is missing from the current system that a status bar gives you? It only becomes a silly request when the information people want is already there and by adding some other visual representation of it you introduce more code, YAFO, etc.

--

Daniel

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Apparently it's only those of us who have first hand experience with Status Bars (not the gin-mill for yuppies kind) that can truly appreciate the Replay's display time info. A status bar is like a clockface without ticks or numbers and with hands operated by rubber bands, only gives you a vague idea as to what the time is.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I HATE status bars - my VCR had it and the only reason they had it was because it took too dam long FF and RW.

Using the Select or Display button on the ReplayTV is way better!

I love my ReplayTV - most of the time.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Wow. I'm really surprised that there are such heated opinions on this subject. I like the status bar on my TiVos quite a bit, actually. I think it's useful to quickly see how far behind live you are, and it's an at-a-glance look at where you are in a recorded show as well.

I would rather, however, see ReplayTV and their new management focus on making the product work without crashing on its existing features. Then add stuff. Frankly, I'm planning on pulling my 3000-series out of retirement for the fall lineup because the 5k just doesn't work well enough to be depended upon. Sigh.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustMike
Wow. I'm really surprised that there are such heated opinions on this subject. I like the status bar on my TiVos quite a bit, actually. I think it's useful to quickly see how far behind live you are, and it's an at-a-glance look at where you are in a recorded show as well.

I would rather, however, see ReplayTV and their new management focus on making the product work without crashing on its existing features. Then add stuff. Frankly, I'm planning on pulling my 3000-series out of retirement for the fall lineup because the 5k just doesn't work well enough to be depended upon. Sigh.
Mike - I don't think the problem is really status bars for most people, it was the asshat who demanded to know why replay didn't have them that started the whole anti-status bar campaign.

As long as it can either be turned off or doesn't block too much of the screen I really don't care.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Hey, let's not resort to name-calling, shall we?

As for the original question, I can tell you that, at least when I was at Replay, there wasn't a NIH mentality. Most often, the issue with features that the TiVo had (say) that the Replay did not was that the Replay's system had been differently architected, and so it wasn't really a small change to add these things. A good example is a To-Do list. Now, there's been plenty of time to add such a feature by now, and I've never understood why it hasn't been done, given the obvious utility of that feature. I suspect that under-staffing and SonicBlue management played a big part in that.

The "wouldn't fit the architecture" problem is not the case with the status bar, really. But, I think you can argue that the HUD provides most of the information you need and so it's not a high priority. I would agree that (say) a To-Do list should happen before a status bar. Personally, I think they should both happen.

I can understand why you would want to be able to turn it off, but personally I prefer to have them.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Mike, my feeling as to why a to-do list is not as trivial as it may appear on the surface is that the Replay doesn't know which theme recordings will happen until just a few minutes before they do. To implement a to-do list functionality is therefore complicated by the fact that there would have to be a process which looks ahead, for days at a time - to the end of the channel guide - making all those lookups. This was just not possible with the processor/memory constraints of the 2K qnd 3K series. Maybe still not feasible, even with the improved horsepower and memory of the new generation units.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.