AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TV being delivered on Friday (Seko) and someone asked me if I was going to tip the guys delivering it. Well to be honest, the thought never crossed my mind. So, now I'm thinking about it and I really don't know? :confused: Should I? Did/would you? And of course if you would tip, how much?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Absolutely. I like to tip before they actually do anything. With a little money in there pockets they will do a better job.

·
Registered
688 Posts
At the beginning I let them know we're excited about the delivery and hope everything goes well. I ask if they need me to do anything to help. If they do a great job, go the extra step, I'd give them 10 per guy up to 20 total.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agreed. A good tip before they bring it in. For a TV, depending on how far they need to carry it, whether stairs are involved and how large the TV, I'd tip anywhere from $5 to $15.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
$10-$20

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well I don't agree that pre tiping is dumb. I always tip before hand and the delivery guy is very happy with that and goes the extra mile. If you tip afterwards you're are hoping that they are professional and will go the extra mile but are gambling. If they bump your TV outside because they are tired and don't care and you tip afterwards then who is dumb. If you tip before hand and they feel good about that they may be more careful ad do a better job.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Delivery people should always be tipped. If they don't feel comfortable accepting a tip, they will certainly let you know.

(I always make sure my mailman gets "tipped" each year at Christmas and on his birthday. He told me once that mail carriers cannot accept tips over $20, however. If I'm feeling particularly wealthy certain years, I give him a gift card or present that goes over the $20 limit.)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
tipping in general for me is this... the better deal I get on the item, the better the potential for bigger tips on delivery. Environment also plays a factor. I recently had some furniture delivered from out of state, bought from an aquaintance, so I got a good deal.

Delivery guys drove 2 hrs one way (still getting paid by the hour) and delivered furniture/installed appliances in 95 degree weather. So I gave the two guys $20 bucks apiece ($40 total), and still couldnt have gotten the same items cheaper anywhere in my immediate area... it amounted to $40 extra on a $4000 purchase. A penny on the dollar.

But they wouldnt have gotten half that if they had done a questionable job. They kept their end of the deal, and I got a good enough deal to reward them accordingly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I voted no, but that is because the guys who delivered my set refused to accept a tip.

What I wanted to comment on was the before or after debate. I used to be a concert producer featuring live acts and Disc Jockeys. My first concert I paid everyone after their performance, and they where happy to get paid. Every concert after that I paid them just as they were about to take the stage. I would wish them a good show and hand them their cash/cheque, and it was usually slightly more than the agreed upon amount. It put them in such and good mood and they played their hearts out, made for a much better performance. It also helped that they didn't have to worry about getting paid and could concentrate on their work. I think the same could and does hold true in the case of deliveries as well.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy
Absolutely. I like to tip before they actually do anything. With a little money in there pockets they will do a better job.
You have to personally pay these morons do to their job the way they should?

How about if they don't carry it in properly they can make a return trip to pick up the damaged set.

Tipping is fine if they have to carry it up lots of stairs but you shouldn't bribe them to do it properly in the first place.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy
Well I don't agree that pre tiping is dumb. I always tip before hand and the delivery guy is very happy with that and goes the extra mile. If you tip afterwards you're are hoping that they are professional and will go the extra mile but are gambling. If they bump your TV outside because they are tired and don't care and you tip afterwards then who is dumb. If you tip before hand and they feel good about that they may be more careful ad do a better job.
Sounds more like disdain for the lower classes than anything else.

Sure they'll do a better job if you give him some bones :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
No way. You are already paying for their services. If you got free shipping then the company you ordered it from is paying for their services. I watch them carefully during delivery, from taking it off the truck to putting it in my house. If they screw it up I just refuse delivery, its as simple as that. Where's my tip for helping to give them a job?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tipping in this country is getting way out of hand. I understand and agree that tipping for 'extra effort' might be appropriate in certain situations and for restaurant wait staff (since they potentially make less than minimum wage)....but for everyone else, you agreed to work at a set rate of pay and you knew what the job was...no tip applies.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I agree, tipping is out of hand. We're moving to a service-based economy, if you tipped every one who provided a service to you, you'd really be struggling. I agree with tipping for waiters, but only because they actually depend on tips for their livelihood. Delivery guys don't. Tipping also gives the delivery companies an excuse to lower wages, since they can argue they'll make it up in tips. Then, like waiters, they have to depend on the kindness of strangers instead of a contracted rate of pay. I can see offering a tip if your situation requires significant extra effort on their part, or in other situations a gift can be appropriate if you have established a relationship with a certain service provider, such as a barber or hair stylist. Beyond that, I think tipping is a bad idea.

If I were going to tip though, I would tip afterwards. What happens if you tip someone up front and they still do a bad job? Ask for your tip back?

·
Registered
836 Posts
A tip shows appreciation. It's part of our way of life in America. People respond well to the money and the meaning behind it. You don't have to tip but it's a nice gesture. I agree that tips have gotten out or hand. We shouldn't have to bribe service people to do their jobs either. If you go to a restaurant it cost you 15-20% extra for a tip. Why not tack on 12% and the pay your workers more money. If they don't do their jobs they get fired. Apparently owners realize that these workers need incentives to be extra nice, etc. because working with the public is not an easy task.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oliver

How about if they don't carry it in properly they can make a return trip to pick up the damaged set.

Tipping is fine if they have to carry it up lots of stairs but you shouldn't bribe them to do it properly in the first place.

A: why do you assume that they are morons? Just because they are doing this type of work?

B: Its not a bribe its a Gratuity

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

SYLLABICATION: gra·tu·i·ty

NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. gra·tu·i·ties

A favor or gift, usually in the form of money, given in return for service.

ETYMOLOGY: French gratuité, from Old French gratuite, from Medieval Latin grtuts, probably from Latin grtutus, voluntary

I normally tip 10 to 20 dollars, because i appreciate the service rendered.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oliver

Some of us tip to differentiate ourselves from people like you. You've obviously never had to do manual labour for a retail consumer before. Dollars to doughnuts says you've made waitresses cry and waiters spit in your soup.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.