AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you trust your RTV to record favorite TV shows with full confident that the RTV would NOT miss the shows. I lost faith on my 5k RTV to record my favorite shows. The problem is the bad TV turner in the 5k RTV. My RTV miss onein every 10 shows. RTV reports no TV signal detected. I have NO problem receiving the TV show on my 20 years OLD TV. I also use a TV signal booster on the RTV. I would never tell my RTV to record my home team playoff games on TV. I watch the games live. Well, what is the point having a RTV? The RTV fails as a consumer product!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
For shows that I really, really want to make sure I get, I set both of my RTVs to record. The biggest risk is that one of my kids will stop a recording, but there are also occassional misses from the IR blaster missing a digit, etc.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My wife is very forgiving of my technological proclivities...as long as they don't interfere with the few shows she actually wants to follow such as "Sex and The City". I am happy to report that on capturing this show, the Replay (a 5040) batted 1000 for the entire season. The only mishap occurred when her 15-year old brother (who lives with us) deleted several episodes that she has not seen to make room for wrasslin'. She was livid, but it wasn't the machine's fault.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Do I trust it, no. Do I care if it misses a show, rarely. The reason is because there are other methods of see or getting info about shows. For example:

-Miss a show on a premium channel like "Sex in the City" and you can catch one of the 15 other showings during the week.

-Miss a show like "Big Brother" and read the synopsis on Zap2It. Actually I do this with "Big Brother" so it only takes 2 minutes versus about 45 minutes and it's usually funnier :)

-Miss a show that doesn't have a running plot like "CSI" and catch the rerun later in the season.

-Miss a show with a running plot like "24" and either catch the rerun on FX or read the episode synopsis on the "fox.com." Even if they don't, the following episodes show plot highlights.

For all the one time events and must watch shows (although there aren't many), I'll use multiple Replays. Before multiple Replays, I'd use a VCR.

Just remember, when the day is over, it's just TV.

·
Registered
304 Posts
No, I don't trust my RTV. I can't recall ever being burned by missing a show, I do double check myself if it's something I really want to see. I check the channel guide making sure the show is "marked" for recording. I set up a lot shows, and I don't even trust the conflict reminder.

The whole thing can be confusing. If I set up a recurring record, and a conflict is reported, sometimes it'll report a "repeat" conflict, even though I set it up to record First Run only.

Nothing is fool proof, so if you really want to see something, double check your settings. It still beats searching through you video tapes, and still recording over something you wanted to see! ;)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I trust it if I set the specific show to record. Keyword themes are pretty unreliable unless you've triple checked that nothing else could be recording instead.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Show-based recordings, I trust absolutely. When an expected show isn't in the list, my wife freaks out and blames the Replay. But nearly 99% of the time the show wasn't on, and the other 1% we had forgotten to set it. I can't even remember the last time the Replay was to blame for missing a show.

If you're having tuner problems most likely there's something you can do in order to insure that the Replay is receiving a proper signal. Yes, it's true that the signal is easily viewed on a TV or a VCR. But it's also true that TiVo and other digital recorders generally have the exact same problem (TiVos use the same tuner hardware). If it's channel 6 or 44 that are giving you the problems, then Replay is aware and trying to solve the problem (again, TiVo users have had the same problems). If it's other channels, you may want to have the cable company check your wiring and signal. I know it's easy to blame Replay for the tuner problems, but it's not always the fault of Replay.

But as for trusting the Replay to record the show-based recordings as scheduled, 100% trust here.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I trust my ReplayTVs whole darn more than my Dish recievers which have been getting really really flakey. I can't decide whether to pitch them, cancel service, and move to digital cable.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
The only problems I've ever had is with the tuner... I currently have one RTV on analog cable, and two on D* sat, and the cable has lost a couple of shows. Sat's never, since they use A/V inputs. I hope 5.1 (Da Rock... :) ) will stabilize the tuner.

Other 'mistrust' issues are usually misunderstanding the priorities of the current scheduling options. I'd like a method to have it check all themes and tell you that there is a conflict. (Yeah, I know this is on everyone's list... but that's what this thread is about!)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Seems that on all these RTV's they use a cheap tuner (probably to hit a decent price point). Therefore a GREAT signal is usually needed. When I first hooked up my RTV I had the signal split between the RTV, stereo, vcr, and TV. Had to record in high quality to get anywhere close to VCR quality.

Then I split it straight out of the antenna preamp between RTV, then rest of house. Looks great!

Do I trust my RTV? Absolutely. Do I care if it misses a show? Not really.

Sometimes I wonder if we forget where we came from. We were some of the few who regularly recorded shows to VCR and watched them later. That meant:

A. VCR had to be set

B. We remembered to put it in timer mode.

C. We had a tape that was rewound.

Etc, etc. I can recall taping over shows by mistake, mislabeling tapes, etc. Now, even with all its faults it is a whole lot better than the VCR.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have a 3030. Yes, I trust it to record a show 90% of the time.

With TV_CHECK to detect conflicts. I get my shows 98% of the time.

The 2% is due to breaking news, or network changes that don't make it to the schedule.

Robert

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobcrane
Seems that on all these RTV's they use a cheap tuner (probably to hit a decent price point). Therefore a GREAT signal is usually needed. When I first hooked up my RTV I had the signal split between the RTV, stereo, VCR, and TV. Had to record in high quality to get anywhere close to VCR quality.

Then I split it straight out of the antenna preamp between RTV, then rest of house. Looks great!

Do I trust my RTV? Absolutely. Do I care if it misses a show? Not really.

Sometimes I wonder if we forget where we came from. We were some of the few who regularly recorded shows to VCR and watched them later. That meant:

A. VCR had to be set

B. We remembered to put it in timer mode.

C. We had a tape that was rewound.

Etc, etc. I can recall taping over shows by mistake, mislabeling tapes, etc. Now, even with all its faults it is a whole lot better than the VCR.
Even worse that that, Bob. A whole lot of us Replay owners actually remember when there were No such thing as a VCR and I for one remember quite well only having 4 television channels to watch period. Not because we were poor (which we were) but because there WAS NO MORE CHANNELS to watch, period.

Do I care if I miss a show or two, not really. Do I want to miss a show, of course not, but my day is not blown if it happens. I just remember the "good Ole days".

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Anyone here want to go for 'I remember when there was no TV'? :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens
If it's channel 6 or 44 that are giving you the problems, then Replay is aware and trying to solve the problem (again, TiVo users have had the same problems).

But as for trusting the Replay to record the show-based recordings as scheduled, 100% trust here.
I never have a problem with Ch 6 on my 4504 or Tivo Series 2. My 5040 is flaky, sometimes Ch 6 works, other times it does not. As far as trusting RTV for recording a show, in the event of conflicts I'll trust my Tivo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only issue with my 5040 is with the IR Blaster missing digits. I've slowly fiddling with placement to the point where it happens only a couple of times a week but it still bothers me.

For shows I cannot miss, I set a manual record a few minutes before to try and set the channel.

Worse comes to worst, I set the cable box to the right station ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I only remember back to when TVs didn't have color and were great room heaters....and nice friendly glow came from the back....

Or back to when my current TV could receive more channels than there were available on cable.

Couldn't possibly have a Channel 44 problem on my TV....it tops out at 36 (and that was considered advanced, because the one my parents got a couple years after mine topped out at 32..I think at that time the channel line up topped out at 28.)

As for whether I trust my RTV....I kind of have to now....I don't have my VCRs hooked up anymore. Of course, one of the reasons I got an RTV was because I was having trust issues with my VCRs. Though there is one thing the VCR could do that my RTV couldn't. Make sure I get my show even if something (known) interrupts the schedule....like the President....

I could turn on the VCR and press record and let it go until the tape ran out. The RTV doesn't have a realtime channel guide...it doesn't even cope things triggered by current events. Like this weekend there was a show remember John Ritter....the show is normally 30 minutes, but it was one hour this weekend....but the channel guide showed the regular 30 minutes and had a blank description. I only found it because my unit was live on that channel.....just happened to be a channel that I commonly have problems recording....sometimes get snow and no audio other times no signal. I wanted to see if moving my RTV to a different tap made any difference (it didn't).

The Dreamer

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I'll say this...

I trust my 3k replayTVs to about 95%, it hits about 100%, but I can see the potential for it failing, so I put that failure potential at 5%.

My 5k replayTVs, I'll give it about a 50%. There have just been too many problems. I ALWAY schedule redundant recordings on either the 3k or another 5k when it something I want. The 5ks have problems with the drives, the clocks, the software, etc.

I just can't trust the faulty hardware and software that is the replayTV 5k product line.

·
Registered
971 Posts
As mentioned above, if I absolutely want something to record, I do a single or repeating guaranteed record. If I just want "filler" then I use either repeating recordings or themes.

My problem, though, is not in trusting ReplayTV, but in trusting the networks or the source of the Channel Guide data. I recently ran into two specific instances where the Channel Guide showed one program but that WAS NOT what was airing:

1. On VH1, they ran a series called "I Love the 70's". I set up single, Guaranteed recordings for almost ALL of the airings, That amounted to maybe 30 or so recirdings. Yes, it was a lot. After previewing each and every recording, only about 8 of them, and I am honestly not exaggerating, were actually recordings of the "I Love the 70's" show. And, this was on both a dial-up 2020 and a broadband-connected 5040, so I know that the Channel Guide data was properly synced. The exact same thing happened with several other shows I wanted to record on VH1. Plain and simple, VH1 is NOTORIOUS for not airing what shows up in the Channel Guide.

2. UPN, Channel 50, Chicago: They re-broadcast "Enterprise" on Sunday evenings, and this Sunday, their schedule was "off" bu one hour, but not the typical "delay" that you might expect. They were showing shows an hour EARLY! Enterprose was airing during a "Movie" time slot, ER, which was scheduleled to aie after Enterprise, aired in Enterprise's time slot, etc.

So do I trust ReplayTV? Within limits, absolutely, but if the Channel Guide data is screwed up, I won't get the recording I want. This isn't ReplayTV's fault--it would happen with a TiVo or a VCR too.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbarr
2. UPN, Channel 50, Chicago: They re-broadcast "Enterprise" on Sunday evenings, and this Sunday, their schedule was "off" bu one hour, but not the typical "delay" that you might expect. They were showing shows an hour EARLY! Enterprose was airing during a "Movie" time slot, ER, which was scheduleled to aie after Enterprise, aired in Enterprise's time slot, etc.
Very common problem with UPN in Chicago. {I]Sometimes{/I] you can go to TVGuide and find they have the correct adjusted time but often even the most recent guide data has it in the usual spot.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Oh, and with the way the first two episodes of this season's Enterprise have looked, it may not matter. :)

... but that's a little off topic.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.