AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Same question. If you do, what type do you use and if not, how do you manage to compensate for dips (or the opposite) in the frequency response of your speakers?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Eric,

I bought my main speakers for their stereo sound quality, but when adding a subwoofer needed to EQ out some low-bass room-induced modal peaks. My mains are rated [email protected], so I crossed them over to the sub one octave above that (@60Hz).

I used a high-quality electronic crossover with symmetrical (low-pass and high-pass) 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filters (24dB/octave slope) in the signal chain just before the L & R amp inputs. I then used the SUM bass switch on this crossover (L+R for the low-pass) and sent the low-pass to a Behringer BFD (24 band parametric EQ) and then to the powered sub. The BFD very selectively and precisely cut the bass peaks in the room to smooth out the response at the listening position. See my equipment list below.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Bruce.

I was going to ask you about the connectors for the BFD; but then, I tried to search it on the web and got the answer. Thanks again. :)

So, for the upper frequencies, do we usually leave them without any EQing?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Guess it depends on the size of the listening room, listening position, type of speakers and "liveness" of the room. In many cases if the speakers are far enough away from the walls, mid-to-high frequency reflections are less of a problem.

If mid-to-high frequencies need to be controlled, then some kind of acoustic treatment at the first reflection points may help (an assistant with a mirror and you sitting in the listening position can identify first reflection points on the walls).

Rugs on the walls and floors may also help as does big stuffed furniture and heavy drapes for mid-to-high frequencies.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Look Alan, my 1000 posts! "Hummmmm, isn't that special".

Eric, welcome to the gang and use a EQ for music and theater for best results. Check out Audio Control and Rane EQs as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Wow! A thousand posts! :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Steve B. has almost 9 thousand and another guy is in the 10K club...

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
And they both were happy when they reached 1000, too :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Too funny. The fact of the matter is there are some folks take the Dolby guy who roams the forum that has only posted around 300 times, but he is the master. He knows. Same goes for Dennis of Design Cinema and many more. So I guess the moral of the story is, it doesn't make one smarter, or better for tons of posts, just more popular? Everyone who chooses AVSF over HTF is special :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.