AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that many of the folks on the forum have had their HDTV sets for over a year I was just curious how well those 'annoying' gray letterbox bars did their job of preventing screen burn in. So as an informal survey...

1) What's your display brand/model and screen format?

2) Do you have the gray letterboxing enabled or do you go with black?

3) If you have an HD ready set and separate STB which one supplies the gray bars if you use them?

4) Most importantly have you experienced any burn in?

For the record I use a Plus UP1100 DLP projector with the DTC100's gray bars disabled. I've had no problems, but then you'd have to be extraordinarily talented to burn the micro-mirrors in a DLP display. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
97 Posts

Model:RCA MM36100 with DTC-100.This set has only been with me for since June of 2000.I have been doing alot of watching on 509 HBO,Still not to a degree,that i think will harm my set.I have chosen, to use the black bar,because its does as better job for me, when watching the picture rather then the bright gray bars and the grey bars does in some way,take you away from the picture.Plus i have also notice, that with the black bar i get more of a picture,then with gray bars,grey bar seem to push the picture down about a few inch/from top and bottom,with black bars they dont.

I also have a DVD player in which again,i dont think there enough veiwing to have the burn in affect.

A good rule:Like has said here before, is to turn down contrast on your set...So far,watching with the black on my set has not burn in and i dont expect it too.

codewarrior:plus with the tubes set its really not a issue as for the bigger set.like HansMoleman:that has a projector or then may other with RPTV ETC..

------------------

·
Registered
675 Posts
Before my 10HT, I was using a Toshiba TW65G80 RPTV. Viewing was probably 35% 4:3, 65% 16:9. Calibrated using Video Essentials and Avia. Until 4-5 months ago, it got daily use for 2-3 years. Used gray bars, and there's no obvious evidence of burn-in.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have had a TW40x81 since November of '99. I watch ALL 4:3 stuff in standard mode with gray side bars. I'd estimate this constitutes at least 1/3rd of my total viewing time.

No burn-in at all yet, and I don't expect any to develop.

·
Registered
306 Posts
About a year with a Toshib tw65h80 -mucho gray bar (the only option is 4:3 non-hd) watching with no problems yet.

·
Registered
33,644 Posts
I've had my Zenith 64" HDTV since Februrary of 2000 and watch about 25%-30% 4:3 with the DTC100 & gray bars.....no evidence of burn in. I do think about it though. I seem to recall very recently seeing a post where somebody was using either a Toshiba or Mits RPTV with gray bars and DID have burn in. I don't recall what his settings were.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also, does the Avia or Video Essentials disk recommend a contrast setting and would that be considered low enough to help avoid burn-in or does it need to be set even lower?

------------------

Turn the sound up and the lights down !

RickZ

·
Registered
675 Posts
RickZ,

The Avia and Video Essentials discs don't recommend a contrast setting, as such, but they provide test patterns and instructions for setting contrast, brightness, and other video settings. The settings that you get by following their instructions will not only give you a better picture, but will also result in settings that will extend the life of your set and reduce the likelihood of burn-in.

If you have not had an ISF calibration, then using either of these discs (Avia is easier to use) is essential.

Claude

·
Registered
675 Posts
RickZ,

The Avia and Video Essentials discs don't recommend a contrast setting, as such, but they provide test patterns and instructions for setting contrast, brightness, and other video settings. The settings that you get by following their instructions will not only give you a better picture, but will also result in settings that will extend the life of your set and reduce the likelihood of burn-in.

If you have not had an ISF calibration, then using either of these discs (Avia is easier to use) is essential.

Claude

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had a Toshiba TW56X81 about a year and a half. About 4 months ago I noticed on a pure white screen slight burn in from watching 4/3 material. I've always kept contrast and brightness low and used the grey bars. I now watch all 4/3 material in theater wide #2 and just get used to the inferior picture. Looking forward to the day when DLPs or DILAs become affordable and usable.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Got my Toshiba TWX65X81 in Oct 99. I set my contrast and brightness low. After about 8 months I noticed burn-in during some white programming. I still watch some 4:3 but most of the time I zoom. The gray bars were supposed to be better than the black bars on earlier models.

Al Keown

Phoenix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.